Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks kinda interesting. Anybody have any experience with this gun?? Sorta seems a PRB or sabot at 1000fps would be good deer medicine--and a lot of fun to shoot!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Used for deer hunting?

I just bought a Traditions Vortek P-1521 pistol.
It's realy fun to shoot I'm a newbee to muzzeloading.
I sighted it in at 25 yards two inch bulls about every time.
Now I'm ready to hunt deer in Michigan late doe season.

This is the short version.
I used 1 pellet of triple 7 magnum and a .44 Hornady XTP sabot.
I shot a doe at 23 yards out of my bow stand.
The deer was quartering away. The deer ran away and I thought I missed.
Good thing we had snow. I found the deer about 300 yard away. It was a double lung shot, the bullet did not pass through, it broke one rib going in an logged between the rib and the skin on the othe side. The hornady .44 xtp hardly looked damaged nothing like the mushroom I get out of my .44 Mag.

I called Tradions and they recommeded I using 60 grain of triple seven fffg loose powder.

I'm going to do a penitration test before next season.

Any other suggestion out there?

·
Registered
49 Posts
44xtp

Because of your lower Muzzle vel you should try some soft swaged lead hollow points. At the speed these ML Pistols generate they work great on deer. Great expansion and they holdtogether. Make sure you order them sized the size of jacketed rounds or they will be real hard to load. I have the Tradations Buck Hunter Pistol in 54Cal. It was there First Single shot and it works well . I am building my owne single shot inline on a Striker stock. If this gun comes together I will have to take it out of stateto shoot a deer with it. Project is still in the development stage waiting on a trigger solution but everything else is going fine. Good luck with your NEW TEADITIONS. J.Michael

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pellets verse Loose

Wow what a difference.
I did a primitive penetration test between loose triple seven and a magnum triple seven pellet.
The 60 grains of triple seven 3F777 loose was about 30 % greater penetration into some old books and news paper from about 10 yards.
I could feel and hear the difference, a definite crack with the loose powder.
I shot my Ruger .44 magnum as a comparison and it was about an inch further into the bundle.
The only difference was the powder the bullets where Hornaday .430 JHP sabots and the same for the .44 Mag.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts