Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a late comer to the party that is guns/shooting sports. I'm currently being tutored by my father-in-law in, well...just about everything from shooting to hand loading to you-name-it.

I look forward to reading up and expanding my knowledge of being a responsible "bitter clinger". I hope not only to learn but to be able to contribute in some small way to this community.

Thanks,
Nate

P.S. I shot a 50 .cal sniper rifle this past weekend and wow.

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in and be polite and play nicely with the rest of us kids.

Fun with the 50. Hope your retina's are still attached. ;)

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Anytime I see someone shooting a 50 BMG rifle, I always check the ground around the bench they are shooting at for any lost gold filings that fall out.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum. Anytime I see someone shooting a 50 BMG rifle, I always check the ground around the bench they are shooting at for any lost gold filings that fall out.
We were firing it prone. However, An older gentleman had first shot from the bench before we moved it and the line cleared all the way to the end before he fired. :D

Thanks for the welcome. I loaded my first ~250 rounds of .44 mag today for about a third of what the cost would've been at Wally-World. It's been a good day.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
if your loading .44 mag, your father-in-law is steering you in the right direction! I've always enjoyed the experimenting that goes along with reloading, plus have found that each firearm tends to prefer slightly different loads.

Good thing your starting now and not a year or so ago or you would have had a real scavenger hunt for components.

Have fun and be careful.

Dan

P.S. I'm sure you find Athos a lot easier for friends to pronounce than Olivier d'Athos de la Fère?

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The old man said we need to load some light loads. HP38 at 6.8gr and a 240gr. Zero bullet. It'll be all sight picture and trigger pull for a while. The tinkering with the loads seems like it might be at least as fun as making things go boom!

And yeh DOK, Baron du Vallon de Bracieux de Pierrefonds and C. René d'Aramis de Vannes find it much easier.

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
Which state is the "Natural State?" Is it Oklahoma? I'm in Nevada. I call it the "Most Free State." I love this place. I came from the northern parts of Virginia. No place to shoot that ain't already been owned by somebody else for 300 years. And they don't want you or your ugly black rifle on it. You might scare their horsies, you know. Out here, I drive five miles and I'm on a dry lake that's 1400 yards long, 700 yards wide, dead-flat across the bottom and not a fence or gate or Keep Out! sign in sight. Shoot anytime you want, day or night. Spotlight 'yotes, if you like. Machine guns welcomed in this state. Greatest two places on Earth: America and Nevada...

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Which state is the "Natural State?" Is it Oklahoma? I'm in Nevada. I call it the "Most Free State." I love this place. I came from the northern parts of Virginia. No place to shoot that ain't already been owned by somebody else for 300 years. And they don't want you or your ugly black rifle on it. You might scare their horsies, you know. Out here, I drive five miles and I'm on a dry lake that's 1400 yards long, 700 yards wide, dead-flat across the bottom and not a fence or gate or Keep Out! sign in sight. Shoot anytime you want, day or night. Spotlight 'yotes, if you like. Machine guns welcomed in this state. Greatest two places on Earth: America and Nevada...

Natural State = Arkansas, it even says that on our license plates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts