Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys:

I need a little help, I have a winchester 94 trapper carbine in .357 and about every 20 rounds or so one shell will come out of the magazine and get stuck under the lifter, requirng the removal of the bottom plate to get it out. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
Thanx andGodbless: Braden Lang

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have a '94 in .45 colt that does the same thing, its caused be "short stroking" the lever, when you operate the lever, make sure the lever goes ALL the way the the end of its stroke firmly, so that the carrier pops back down so that the next round from the magazine will slide onto the carrier.  when you "short stroke" the lever, the carrier doesnt drop down to where its supposed to be, then the next round is allowed to get underneath the carrier, jamming the rifle. with the rifle empty, look down into the action from the top and notice what the carrier does when the action is worked weakly, and you'll see what i'm talking about. jack that lever like ya mean it!! then your troubles should disappear...hope this helped,  gutpile

·
Registered
255 Posts
This is one of the reasons the Marlin lever action is preferred by some people. As gutpile said, yank and crank like ya mean it. Your hide might depend on it sometime. :O

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Hi Branden,

There are two things that I know of that could cause this.

1.) The bullet you are using has a wide metplat and can deflect the "cartridge stop" that holds the following cartridge in the magazine in place allowing it to pass under the lifter.  I had this trouble with 180gr. L.B.T.'s in my .357 '92. I was seating them to 1.600 o.a.l. and when I reduced the seating depth to 1.54" the problem disappeared along with the crimping groove which went below the case mouth.  No problem though. The bullet fits tight enough in the case that no crimp is needed.

2.) If your cartridges are shorter (i.e. .38 special) the cartridge stop is malfunctioning. Have a gunsmith look at it unless you feel you can remedy it.

Good luck,
John

·
Registered
28 Posts
i dont agree with the idea that the bullet has anything to do with jamming the action, doesnt the cartridge stop function on the RIM of the case, not the bullet??? i still say its the way you cycle the '94 action   it needs to be done firmly

·
Registered
91 Posts
My turn.

I have a little Ranger, in 45 colt.   (Trapper, minus recoil pad.    
  I just spent 20 minutes trying to duplicate Braden Lang cycling problem.    
   The only way I could get a feed under my lifter is to basically not go through complete cycle.  Literally remove the bullet from breach by hand, and fiddle with it per say.    Looking at the design, the lifter is put in down position before releasing new round.  
   By the description of your problem, I feel you have a possible catch issue. Or stop, if you want to call it that. Looked in Gun nuts, cant see illustration very well to describe part.  

The reason I am saying this, during cycle of lever (complete) there is a position placement during action movement.    
     <Maybe spring strength of this part is inadequate. >
If you are not sure what to do, send it to winchester. I am sure they will be happy to fix problem.    

Scout...

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 94's cartridge stop on post 64's I believe...is machined into the what they call the link...."the bottom piece"......IF it gets worn or partially broken , it will let the cartridge slip under the lifter........I've seen in happen on couple of 94's in 30 WCF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts