Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a Glock 22 today. It is certainly light and easy to carry with alot of firepower. :rolleyes: I was pleased with its function and accuracy, but I was dissapointed in the trigger. The two piece trigger irritated my trigger finger after about 10 shots and it got worse as time went by. I was also unhappy with the magazine release which did not drop the mag as easily as my other autos. I may be wrong on this part, but I am not real happy about carrying a auto with a round in the chamber, cocked, or "semi cocked" as the directions say with no safty and "hammerless". I was taught never to trust any type of mechanical safty as it only takes one malfunction to hurt you. I am not "down" on this pistol but it does not seem to meet my needs. Share your opinions with me and tell me where I'm going wrong..........Thanks

·
Registered
825 Posts
There are a other Poly framed autos with thumb safeties, if that is what you would be more comfortable with and some with hammers, if the striker turns you off. The Ruger SR 40 has a thumb safety, Springfield XD has a grip safety, and CZ makes a poly version of their CZ-75. There are many others, this was a quick list.

As far as Glocks go, the Model 23 is the compact .40. IMHO it is better sized for carry and still has a long enough grip to get all your fingers on it.
If the trigger seems too short and light, you can install (or have installed) a connector which increases trigger pull in the second stage, or a "New York" trigger that increases and changes trigger pull to a longer single stage trigger. I look at the Glock trigger pulls as being just like a 2 stage trigger in a military rifle, you have the initial travel, then a heavier stage.

I guarantee that it is easier to find accessories (holsters, mags, etc) for the Glock than any pistol besides the 1911.

Andy

·
Banned
267 Posts
I tried a Glock 22 today. It is certainly light and easy to carry with alot of firepower. :rolleyes: I was pleased with its function and accuracy, but I was dissapointed in the trigger. The two piece trigger irritated my trigger finger after about 10 shots and it got worse as time went by. I was also unhappy with the magazine release which did not drop the mag as easily as my other autos. I may be wrong on this part, but I am not real happy about carrying a auto with a round in the chamber, cocked, or "semi cocked" as the directions say with no safty and "hammerless". I was taught never to trust any type of mechanical safty as it only takes one malfunction to hurt you. I am not "down" on this pistol but it does not seem to meet my needs. Share your opinions with me and tell me where I'm going wrong..........Thanks
The GLUNK is a lowest common denominator pistol for lowest common denominator people. You know the type of herd animals who sleep with a shotgun by the bed and have a pit bull be cause they think it makes them tough. The firearms fraternity version of McSheeple.

Those capable of independant thought realize the only thing the Glock has going for it is rust resistance and light weight. Really, that is about it.
Yeah, with a round up the pipe you are carrying a cocked and unlocked autoloader. Bad idea from the get go. What do you expect from a guy who designed clocks for a living?

The trigger can be lightened but because of the design of the lockwork it will pretty much always be rough or mushy. Talk about the worst of both worlds. Light trigger with a bad pull!
I don't think you are going wrong at all, except for the comment about "firepower."
Most self defense shootings are over after two rounds have been fired by the defender. Which means you can carry a five shot .38 and get into two gunfights a week before you have to reload.
Don't let the firepower movie fantasy get to you.
If you like autoloaders I would recommend one with a smooth trigger. I am fond of 1911s, Hi Powers and Berettas myself. But I am also a wheelgunner too. The single most important factor of a self defense gun is reliability. The second most important factor is stopping power (never can have too much of that).
Accuracy would be next. You gotta hit the threat. Firepower is last on the list.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
>I may be wrong on this part, but I am not real happy about carrying a auto with a round in the chamber, cocked, or "semi cocked" as the directions say with no safty and "hammerless".

You are. The Glock has three safeties -- more than a DA revolver. But maybe DA revolvers make you nervous, too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The GLUNK is a lowest common denominator pistol for lowest common denominator people. You know the type of herd animals who sleep with a shotgun by the bed and have a pit bull be cause they think it makes them tough. The firearms fraternity version of McSheeple.

Those capable of independant thought realize the only thing the Glock has going for it is rust resistance and light weight. Really, that is about it.
Yeah, with a round up the pipe you are carrying a cocked and unlocked autoloader. Bad idea from the get go. What do you expect from a guy who designed clocks for a living?

The trigger can be lightened but because of the design of the lockwork it will pretty much always be rough or mushy. Talk about the worst of both worlds. Light trigger with a bad pull!
I don't think you are going wrong at all, except for the comment about "firepower."
Most self defense shootings are over after two rounds have been fired by the defender. Which means you can carry a five shot .38 and get into two gunfights a week before you have to reload.
Don't let the firepower movie fantasy get to you.
If you like autoloaders I would recommend one with a smooth trigger. I am fond of 1911s, Hi Powers and Berettas myself. But I am also a wheelgunner too. The single most important factor of a self defense gun is reliability. The second most important factor is stopping power (never can have too much of that).
Accuracy would be next. You gotta hit the threat. Firepower is last on the list.
Way to generalize a group of people that own a particular type of firearm, do you do this to everyone that owns something you don't like? I happen to own a couple of Glocks, as well as keep a shotgun next to the bed, and I do not consider myself to be a "sheep", nor do I consider myself someone who owns guns just to "look tough" as you so wonderfully put it. Your comments kinda make me wonder if you are even in support of carrying firearms for self defense.

·
Banned
655 Posts

This is not going to end well...

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
I'm the first one to bang on the "Glock Fan Boys" (GFB) but you can't deny that they are as reliable as a semi-auto pistol can get. For me I'd take a P series or SR series Ruger over a Glock but that is just me. The 10mm Glocks are interesting handguns but not the instant death-rays that the GFB make them out to be. Get what you like and shoot what you like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.