Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going everyone? Just out of curiosity does anyone do archery here? If not, is there a reason why? Or why would you prefer the gun?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I started archery hunting in '07. I am very glad I did. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely enjoy gun hunting and shooting my rifles but archery is ADDICTIVE. There's no bigger rush than having a deer 20 yards or less, having no clue you're there and getting off a shot. It's also very peaceful, no gun shots and mild weather, it can't be beat.

·
Inactive
3,893 Posts
started archery hunting in 1961, inspired by Uncle Fred. I've Killed deer with long bow, recurve, semi-recurve (my favorite), compound, and crossbow.

Shot competition for years. Really the best way to hunt. works for bears and turkeys also.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with all of those above. There is NOTHING that compairs to hunting with a bow. Anyone call kill game with a gun. You see more deer while hunting with a bow then you do with a gun. I know, it doesn't make sense but it's true. I don't hunt with a gun anymore, there's no challenge. Once you have expierenced the hunt with a bow you will know what I'm talking about. Turkey hunting with a bow is a Real Trip. There is nothing like it. I was 58 years old before a picked up a bow. I wish I have done it years ago. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
HarryS, you started the same year I did. PA allowed hunting at 12 yrs old. Had to wait four more years to hunt in my own state of NY. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. For many years I hunted NY, PA, and Mich every year. Any more, it's just NY. They give out more tags than I use every year and they have a decent deer herd in some areas. My father and I met Fred Bear trout fishing on the Ausable River in Michigan back in the early 60s. He gave us a factory tour the next day. I met him again a few years later at a shooting function. I was surprised he remembered me and my father. I guess he liked to fish about as much as bow hunt. A very nice, and humble man. Back in those days we were making our own laminated recurve bows. I shot my first seventeen archery deer with home made bows. I also won two state championships with them and one mid-atlantic shoot. For some reason I got caught up in the compound bow alure. Nothing wrong with them either. Hey, it's all good.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Never went archery hunting and only shot a bow once. I have no desire to bow hunt as I enjoy and cherish deer hunting around the 1st of December which rifle season here.
Small game is in full swing during archery which is another hunt I don't want to miss.
Too many archery hunters that I have acquaintance with are slob hunters when it comes to archery hunting. Breaking safety zone distances, hunting in posted areas they don't have permission for, hunting in no hunting areas such as green zones in housing plans, or worse yet sticking multiple deer before the season ends.
I have a member of my extended family that hunts a private tract of land here in Pa that holds some big racked deer. He traditionally sticks 4-5 big bucks before he gets one or the season ends. That is just an example of the archers I know.
Many of our sportsmens clubs have been taken over by archers to the point you are barely allowed to shoot a gun there.
I just don't appreciate archers or archery the way others do.

·
Inactive
1,213 Posts
I also never got bit by the archery bug as many of my friends have. Just didn't have any interest. My other love is fishing and when bow season started here a guy could go fishing with very few others around. I really enjoy the outdoors without a crowd, besides bow season here is steelhead season in Idaho.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Never went archery hunting and only shot a bow once. I have no desire to bow hunt as I enjoy and cherish deer hunting around the 1st of December which rifle season here.
Small game is in full swing during archery which is another hunt I don't want to miss.
Too many archery hunters that I have acquaintance with are slob hunters when it comes to archery hunting. Breaking safety zone distances, hunting in posted areas they don't have permission for, hunting in no hunting areas such as green zones in housing plans, or worse yet sticking multiple deer before the season ends.
I have a member of my extended family that hunts a private tract of land here in Pa that holds some big racked deer. He traditionally sticks 4-5 big bucks before he gets one or the season ends. That is just an example of the archers I know.
Many of our sportsmens clubs have been taken over by archers to the point you are barely allowed to shoot a gun there.
I just don't appreciate archers or archery the way others do.
I've found the same people gun hunting. In fact, most archers also hunt with a gun. I haven't found gun hunters to be any more ethical than bow hunters and I know of lot of people in both camps. Like I said, they cross over.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you want to really enjoy bowhunting, ditch the compound and hunt with a recurve or longbow. Make the hunt about getting as close to the animal as possible before shooting, rather than seeing how far away you can kill one. It amazes me to see so many compound shooters with sight pins set to 60, 70, 80 yards and more. What's worse is to hear them telling someone, especially a non hunter, about the shot they made at muzzleloader distance. I think even the majority of non hunters view bowhunting as a close range sport.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,699 Posts
What's the point if you can't count eyelashes on the deer.... :p

I do enjoy bowhunting and it gives me opportunities I would not otherwise have. Same rules as gun hunting; know your target, be in range, take only good shots. I don't have to shoot farther than 20 or 25 yards and don't even consider anything beyond that. Have enough of a challenge at the shorter distances, as is.....

Getting a turkey with a bow - that would be a real accomplishment. My hat is off to anyone who can call one and it stick it with an arrow.

·
Registered
506 Posts
As I had stated archers that I know are slob archery hunters for some reason when it comes to gun hunting they follow safety zones, get permission and actually look for a hit deer. It puzzles me when it comes to bow hunting they are so unethical and yet ethical when it comes to gun hunting. I know a couple that only hunt during bow season.
In my experience it has been this way which has not helped my view. Yes I know there are slob gun hunters but as a percentage in my circle of acquaintances there are far fewer on the gun side. Again in my circle of acquaintances.

·
Inactive
3,893 Posts
NSB Interesting. I also met Fred Bear. I was trout fishing the HIGH Banks area on the Ausable River in Michigan In 1970. back in the early 60s. Nice guy, I had bee shooting comp with a friend of his.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I consider archers the elete among hunters. The ones I know are very ethical. However I haven't developed any interest in pursing archery hunting.

·
Inactive
3,893 Posts
Slob archers...yes there are a few out there. I had a guy, that I gave permission to after I found him trespassing on my farm (my mistake). days later he stole one of my tree stands, and never came back. So he gave up on one of the best deer spots inAmerica for a lousy $300 used stand,,and his honor.

I've always thought archers are more likely to be slobs and break laws because...archery is a silent hunter. NO gun report; so night hunting is 'fine' with most. Not tracking injured game is not know because of No Noise report. Same thing goes for trespass. a sorry situation.

Lots of anti-archery feelings as they get to harvest first and get the rut bucks in many states.

It is a laugh, as compound bow archers belittle cross-bow guy while hunting 80% let off high tech bows... LOL.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
THe only animals I have hunted with my recurve are rabbits and birds. As was said, it is certainly addicitve! I've been close enough to Turkey in my area that I know I could kill one with a bow, but when I'm up there where they are, I'm carrying a rifle and I don;t have a turkey tag!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
NSB Interesting. I also met Fred Bea. I was trout fishing the HIGH Banks area on the Ausable River in Michigan In 1970. back in the early 60s. Nice guy, I had bee shooting comp with a friend of his.
It is indeed a small world.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I used to bow hunt back in the late 80's. While i owned two recurve bows as a kid, i hunted with a compound ( bear whitetail 2). I loved stalking/still hunting, and tracking both before and after the release was the most rewarding part to me.
I got out of it when the area I'm in became over run with tree stand hunters. Nothing against them, just too many around here. When your tracking or checking a rut, i don't like having to concern myself about some guy in a stand mistaking me for a deer in the brush. Orange is not the norm during archery season, or at least it wasn't then.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've found the same people gun hunting. In fact, most archers also hunt with a gun. I haven't found gun hunters to be any more ethical than bow hunters and I know of lot of people in both camps. Like I said, they cross over.
I couldn't agree more. I couldn't count the times that I've been gun hunting and came upon a blood trail in the snow, then to find the person only tracked for 50 yards and gave up. I mean they shot it with a gun, surely it can't run further than that lol. Definitely unethical hunters on both sides of the fence.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Wife and I started bow hunting 2011 and we did get entry level compound bows see it we like it. 2012 we upgrade bows and we practice more shot some indoor matches and wife got her deer that year. I hunted deer with rifle that year only hunted elk with bow no luck.

last year we both drew deer tags and got OTC either sex elk tag and I got whats called cap bear tag archery and we both seen lot of animals didn't get into elk towards end of season. I did draw rifle cow tag.

This year wife drew archery deer tag and I drew rifle bear,elk and deer tag and my rifle bear tag is during archery. I pass on small bucks with rifle same as I do with bow and pass on shooting cow with a bow like to get a good bull with one.

We now have bows for hunting and target and have range at home out to 80yds and some 3D targets. We also have good archery shop in town with indoor range and belong to a club with 3D range.

When we started archery wife was thinking about quit hunting with rifle so archery that first year and warmer weather was more to her liking so hasn't hunted with rifle since.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Archery is really getting back to basics. We did it at scout camp when I was a boy, Made a few simple bows from staves of lemon wood, Got a great deal on a Bear Polar LTD compound bow and got serious about shooting, would take my daughter with me to the archery range and we would go thru the woods shooting the course. We got pretty good . Great fun. Went hunting a fair amount but never scored on a deer, gave tree squirrels heck. Still got the old bow a bunch of arrow making stuff...might have to get it out and see if I can still shoot!
Great post , thanks for bringing back those good memories!
Gary

1 - 20 of 22 Posts