Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
BS, he creates a false premise then attacks it, anyone with even the slightest amount of shooting experience knows that a "trigger jerk" is one small part of what I would call a whole body "tune out" of a coming event, recoil, concussion, and noise. Depending on the severity it's clenching hands, closing eyes and whole body jerks. Let me tell you friends if there's one thing I'm an expert about it's trigger jerks, I've experienced every level at one time or another in competition. 35yrs of rifle silhouette competition at state and national level will create enough anxiety in anyone except a very few to make them jerk a trigger on occasion. Getting your brain to calm down and overpower your body when the pressure level is at 10 is no small feat. Same goes for mentally controlling yourself when faced with the coming recoil from a hard kicking rifle or handgun.
Best way to combat it is dry firing, second best is shooting an airgun.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,363 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Putters have 'the yips'. Shooters have jerks, flinches, contractions, squinches and defects caused by anticipation of something likely to hurt. Both are perfectly natural to the sports and sorts out the riff raff in intense competition.
Reward and punishment works as training aids every time: Playing 'kick the can' with big revolvers is great fun, but to make it better, load your competitor's gun for him and he load yours. We played for nickels or quarters and four shots each.
#1 Throws the can out front and #2 gets first shot. If the can moves, #2 wins a coin.
#1 shoots. If the can moves, he gets a coin. A flinch on an empty chamber cost two coins.
The object is to knock the can out of range or out of sight. Winner gets the remaining coins.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I tried twice to read the article. Sorry, I just couldn’t finish it. This guy simply has nothing to say that could help anyone and lots to say if he’s trying to mess them up. He just does’t know what he’s talking about. Like a lot of wanna-bees he’s just trying to be different and show his “method” is better. Reminds me of a guy we have locally who likes to teach new people how to shoot sporting clays. He’ll go to a shoot and stand behind you and tell you what you should be doing on each bird and what you’re doing wrong (I was AAA and had one foot in Master at the time). I finally had to ask him to shut up. I ended shooting an 89x100 that day and he shot a 29x100. Still, he’d get new people to pay him for lessons! He owned a gun shop so all the new people thought he knew everything. If this clown comes out with a book I don’t think I’ll be buying it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,692 Posts
I won't bother to read it.... used to take out new shooters to the clay target range and shoot skeet. Once in a while, one would be missing badly enough, that I'd distract them and load an empty to see if they were flinching. Usually, the result was they would about fall over forward at the 'shot'..... the other reason for bad misses on easy targets was being cross-eye dominant, but that is pretty easy to spot.

I know my limitations, when my hands start to shake a little, it's time to get out the .22 and calm the nerves back down. Big-bore revolvers can do that to you! The worse the muzzle blast, the quicker I start to flinch, no matter the actual recoil. Gotta condition your nervous system to it.

·
Super Moderator
13,898 Posts
I did manage to drag myself through it. He's just completely way off on his premises. First, I don't think anybody ever suggested that the sudden motion of the trigger all by itself was the issue. Saying that jerking the trigger causes the problem is like saying ambushing the ten ring causes the problem or trying to get the gun to go off right when the sights are perfectly over the target center causes the problem. The problem is all the other muscle contractions that result from attempting to force these things to happen that are set in motion and that redirect the muzzle.

The bullet takes 0.01s to get out of the barrel, counting lock time, and he thinks that's so fast the muzzle can't move off-target that quickly? Nonsense. It's a simple calculation. Suppose a pistol has a barrel that extends 8 inches beyond the wrist (the center of most of this bending movement) and it is hitting a foot low and left on a 25-yard target. How much does the muzzle have to move low and left? Just over a tenth of an inch. How fast is that moving? If all the movement occurs during the 0.01s lock and barrel time of the gun, less than a foot per second of muzzle movement is needed to get that far off. Not very fast. And, the movement often begins before the hammer falls or during the attempt to get it to fall. If he's not seeing that in his videos, he needs to speed the frame rate up. How many times have you called a bad shot correctly because you saw that movement in the sight alignment a fraction before the gun went bang? Lots of times, if you shoot without closing your eyes.

Bottom line, wishful thinking.

Mike,

I used to drag my Blackhawk 41 Mag to the range for bull's-eye practice. I would put a couple of cylinders of full-house loads through it before picking up the Goldcup to practice. After the BH, the 45 Auto target loads felt like such total creampuffs, I no longer had any urge to flinch, nor a care in the world about controlling recoil because there was no possibility the gun was leaving my hand on its own. That seemed like silly thinking at that point.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I also, with considerable effort, got through it.
The guy never even hinted at what his proposed fix was, other than to say it's grip. This was a shameless piece of marketing trolling the NRA should be embarrassed to have printed.

I agree with Nick's assertion(s), and as I think Kevinbear said, the guy is making a strawman argument so that he can burn it.

I do agree that many problems begin with poor grip, but pretty much none of the rest of it. Maybe if he'd given even just ONE tip for people to try, I might possibly perhaps try it and see then whether I'd want to listen to any of the rest of what he has to say. Without that, hard pass.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I tried to get through it again, my third try. You guys are better men than I am if you could read the entire thing. This pompous *** is full of himself. If he’s ”teaching”, he’s stealing. I’ve shot handguns for over fifty years and shot a lot of competition. I did rather well at it and I didn’t do any of it like he’s talking about. He’s actually clueless on the subject. I can’t believe any gun rag would allow him to print this drivel. Unbelievable. Just what is his claim to fame? What major competitions has he won? Sounds like someone who talks the talk but can’t walk the walk.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. When I started shooting some 50 plus years ago it was with revolvers. Having one or two unloaded chambers sure opened my eyes in a hurry especially after a few 357 rounds. thanks all and stay safe Fay

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
i didn't read it. but i betcha he never had a stroke and retraining yourself to shoot right. i did the trigger pull after my stroke for about a year. i had to relax everything just to shoot RIGHT!!!! it was bad to retrain myself, recoil, trigger jerking, eyes closed.......EVERYTHING!!!!!!

now i'm slightly above shooter, not a great shooter by any means. i do a trigger pull sometimes(jerk and close my eyes), but i aways say it before i look to the target. back before i had the stroke, i would shoot a 460 Weatherby mag and think nothing of it. 338RUM, 416 remington....i did them all. but now i don't like recoil. the 30-06 with factory 180gr bullets is as far as i'll go. that's why i reload cast boolits. the closest thing i have in recoil is the tc encore with a 23" MGM heavy factory barrel in 500 linebaugh that shoots a 450gr lfn gc and hs-6 that goes 1235fps. right behind it, is the husky m46 in 9.3x57 with 275gr wfn gc and imr4895 that goes around 1700-1800fps(forgot my chrony).

·
Registered
495 Posts
Didn’t read it either and don’t have to. I sometimes wonder if these writers are actually shooters or like the guys that cover professional sports. Write about something you never did yourself.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I wrote a couple of in-depth stories in 2008, they had great pictures and lots of loading data. I sent them to a friend who's and English major/school teacher, he corrected all the errors and reformatted both of them before I submitted them to just about every gun magazine in print.
I was told by several of them I didn't have the credentials to write for their magazines. At that time there wasn't much going on in the shooting industry and all the gun writers were just re-writing old articles, you would have thought they would welcome some fresh ideas, that was about the time the 6.5's started getting some interest, the focus of my articles.
About that time I had a subscription to Handloader and Rifle for maybe 10yrs, Rifle published 4 issues in a row with 30-06 as the lead,all the same information, I wrote them an email telling them if they did it one more time I'd cancel my subscription, they did and so I cancelled and never bought another one.
Gun magazines have really went downhill in my lifetime, Sports afield and Field and stream were amazing magazines in the late 70's early 80's.
The author of the article were talking about isn't unusual, most of them today are meatheads.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Trap shooters many times convince themselves flinching is causing misses. One of the more innovative (and scary) 'cures' is the 'release trigger'.
The theory goes your hand can't flinch if the trigger finger is going the other way. The trigger is cocked by pulling it and the gun fires when the trigger is released. Some trap ranges had no grass growing at the 16 yard stations due to 'confusion' of the shooters. Many ranges outlawed them along with thumb triggers.
I was a member of the Splugeon Pass Scattergun Society of Coonbottom Fla for a time and the members were especially innovative about shooting games and serious money could be won or lost in left hand, from the hip skeet matches or matches just made up on the spot as challenges. A member had a release trigger mechanism in a M1100 trap gun. It didn't take long to get a match together with everybody shooting the 30" full M1100 on the skeet range with a trigger that was more confusing than a wad of octopi. Shooting doubles with a release trigger was ammo-wasting comedy of the first order.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
We used to joke that a release trigger was a shooters last gasp for air before quitting the game. I've handled them in a shop but never shot a gun with one.
I'd liken them to those ulta-light rifle triggers that were all the rage in the 80's and 90's. I put a 2oz trigger in my 40xr, believe it not you can still jerk a 2oz trigger, the common belief for a while was you could "think it off" there by defeating the trigger jerk, nice theory, probably worked....once for me!
I think a heavier trigger in a rifle might actually help with trigger jerks, I know a 2-stage does. I've set every rifle trigger I have at 2lb 2oz. An artillery hold goes a long way as well.
In handguns dry firing is king, airguns a close second.
My favorite one right now is a little Colt defender pistol, I hop tin cans around the back yard for fun, you forget about jerking the trigger after a couple hundred rounds.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
A good friend (sort of a Mentor after my Dad died), dabbled in release triggers. He shot for the Army Skeet team for many years and developed a "Balk", which is way worse than any flinch. Even shooting .410 could be an issue. He had about a bajillion shotguns and mainly had them on his 1100's, but also a few of his OU had them. I shot them a number of times and they're not that difficult to adjust too. He struggled with it and mainly shot release triggers until he died.

I shot a lot of Skeet back then and only ran across release triggers occasionally. Trap shooters, on the other hand seem to have an over abundance of users.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
the problem of trigger jerking is my (or yours) anticipation of the recoil and noise (in my case, the noise did it). when i was retraining myself, every time i pulled the trigger, i would "jerk" at the noise. i did have ear plugs and ear muffs at the time. now it is ear muffs. i had to ignore the noise to shoot better. i did, but i still jerk trigger once in a while.

a big difference is my use of cast boolits. i don't do long range at deer. i'm happy with 150+/- yards. the fastest velocity is my 30-40 krag with 165gr ranch dogs and h4198 that goes.........hold your hats......a blistering 1930fps. the lowest is my 500 linebaugh and 450gr lfn gc and hs-6 that goes a whopping 1235fps. i like a gentle push on my shoulder, instead of wham, bam, slap your momma type recoil.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts