Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give  recommendations on what to use to polish and hone trigger points to lighten them up?  Also where can someone get these items if they are not general workshop items?  Wanting to lighten trigger on Ruger 77/22 Hornet that I just got.  Seen the details @ Centerfire Central.com
Thanks for any help,
Jeff

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jeff
I've used 500 or 600 grit wet-dry sandpaper with good results. Also, depending on what you're working on, a polishing wheel works well. Just remember not to change any angles or round off corners. Uneven sear angles will give you inconsistent trigger pulls and unreliable sear engagement.
                                              Good luck
                                                    Dave

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,237 Posts
Jeff, do yourself a big favor and spend &#365 on a Brownell's catalog.  They have replacement springs and even entire trigger assemblies for many popular rifles.

If you can fix the trigger for &#3610 or &#3615 worth of springs, you're money ahead.  You don't want to monkey around indiscriminately on triggers.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
The very best of the aftermarket triggers I have seen for that gun are from Spec-Tech Industries.   The founder of the company is from Old-World Gemany, and has run a gunsmithing shop in Sandpoint, Idaho for years and years, his name is Otto Garst, he retired from general gunsmithing work about six years ago.   He is the designer of the triggers marketed.

His son, living in Bellingham Washington markets the triggers, and has them investment cast, but Otto, his father still hand stones each and every trigger before it is then heat-treated and packaged for sale. (at least as of the last time I ran into Otto at the Sandpoint Sportsman's Association gunshow in Sandpoint)

The triggers are priced fairly, and are a very good product for any money.   My M77MKII's and my son's all have Spec-Tech triggers in them, and are they ever sweet when properly adjusted!  Installation is two pins in and out, and a minor final fitting for the safety engagement deck on the trigger.

Reach them at:

<a href="www.spec-tech-industries.com" target='_blank'>www.spec-tech-industries.com</a>

Hope this helps!  It is a definitive answer to trigger deficiencies in any of the M77MKII family of guns, including the 77/22 and 77/22 Hornets.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Jeff,

They are truly excellent triggers!   You won't be sorry if you invest in one!  Keep your old trigger just in case you decide to trade off your rifle... two pins and your custom trigger comes out!  Just a thought!

The photo is on the general discussion forum under fashion photo!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts