Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of brass from .357 factory ammo, the sizes vary in length from 1.267 - 1.291.
All the reloading books state a trim to length of either 1.280, 1.285 or 1.290. Most of the brass I have is 1.270 - 1.280.
Can I trim most of them all to 1.270 & if I do, where can I find load to use as well as the c.o.l.
I have win296 powder, wspm primers & win sthp bullets
Looking for suggestions

·
Registered
392 Posts
Few people bother trimming handgun brass at all. The only benefit trimming will give you in .357 is a more uniform crimp, which is never a "bad" thing.

I've had mixed lots of handgun brass that would have small, but noticeable, differences in length. I just trimmed them all to whatever length Lee's simple, fixed case length gage/trimmer was set for.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Colt357,

Welcome to ShootersForum! Rules are simple, be nice and join in.

The SAAMI spec on 357 Magnum cases is 1.290" and the standard trim-to length is typically .005 - .010" less, so I wouldn't trim any of them shorter than about 1.280" It probably wouldn't hurt to trim them all to 1.270", but it certainly isn't necessary to go that short.

Without mentioning the weight of the Winchester STHP bullets you are planning to load, there is no way to offer a possible load recipe. Follow what your load books suggest for that bullet...that's the best advice you can get, anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think a uniform crimp is important. You will find when you trim them that many of them are not aquare to the axis. Squaring them up by trimming will give them that good crimp. Once they are uniform you won't need to ever do them again.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Few people bother trimming handgun brass at all.
Then, there are those people who trim everything :(

I have found that .357/.44 Mag brass can be trimmed once, and it will not likely ever need trimming again. Getting a good crimp is never an issue, and accuracy will improve with some combinbations, especially with medium weight bullets and slower powders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts