Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a quick question about trimming cases that are intended to be used for accurate target shooting at longer distances.

I know the max case length on a 308 is 2.015" If I'm not mistaken.. my manual tells me to trim them down to 2.005" after FL resizing... So I do this, load, shooting, resize, and measurement... Usually after being resized they measure anywhere in the range of 2.011-2.016".. w/ a few being under or over those....

For the purpose of accuracy, should I retrim them all back down to 2.005" or wait until they have expanded past the 2.015" mark (assuming they haven't).

Reason I ask is because I don't want to have to manually trim 100s of cases every time I go shooting and decrease the life of the case.

On a side note... as far as the max times a case can be trimmed... I have heard people say 4-5times and then they toss them... is kinda conservative??? Or can I keep trimming/shooting until I see visible defects in the cases?

Thanks,

MIke.

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
It depends

I use a Lee trimmer and trim all .308 cases if they need it. Cases can be trimmed and reloaded until they fail to pass inspection, develop cracks in the neck or cannot securely hold a primer. I am conservative and toss cases after 3 or 4 reloads. Brass is cheap. All the best...
Gil

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Well, if they stretch that far after every shot, then you will have to trim each time. If you neck size only, they won't stretch as much, because the brass doesn't have to move much to fill the chamber. If you use the RCBS X die, you trim once to .020" under max and you shouldn't have to trim again.

Match shooters will only neck size and they will trim to length and inside and outside if necessary.

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
I don't load 308 much. Have noticed that if you trim to minimum about two times IF YOU NECK-SIZE ONLY, they tend to settle down after that and get fairly consistant. This with 270 30-06 6mm. type experience

Cheezywan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts