Shooters Forum banner

Trip to an indoor range this weekend

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Pudfark 
#1 ·
Took a couple of Colts out to an indoor range this weekend. The lighting conditions were just horrible and I was basically unable to see the front sights of my guns. However, I did manage to pull off at least one respectable group.

This is 12 rounds offhand at 15 yards (it was a very short range)

Revolver Azure Office supplies Creative arts Font

See less See more
#4 ·
You can't shoot groups like that indoors unless your a great shot, the ammunition is good and the gun is wonderful as well, congratulations on the trifecta!
btw I've never been able to shoot good groups indoors with the poor lighting, constant blasting of other guns, talking distractions and smoke, hats off to you.
ps that colt's spectacular, what vintage?

#5 ·
Thanks my brotha... I think I shoot a little better than most, but not as good as some.

I share your disdain of indoor ranges. And yeah, I really had problems seeing my sights in that range. The Python at least gave me the first hint of a shadow that I think was my front sight (turns out it was). But when I shot my New Service it looked like a shotgun pattern board; that front sight was just plain non-existent.

#6 ·
If you need help getting rid of that New Service I can help you out! I owned a .357 NS in 1979 but had to trade it for rent....

#7 ·
I'll bet that was one nice revolver, .357's are not common in the New Service. My New Service is very much shooter grade, nothing really special about it. 1916 in .455 MK II, it has British proofs and British military acceptance stamps. It has been re-Parkerized, I'm betting just before WW2. It shoots straight when I shoot it straight.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

#8 ·
Like most others have noted, I despise indoor Ranges. Great group. I won many a Coke off of the local PD and FBI guys shooting 25 yd. NRA slow fire targets.

You shoot when and where you can at times.

Loved that Python.

Reactions: DarkLord
#9 ·
I've owned several New Service revolvers. 45 auto rim, 45 Colt and .357. Colt made some unusual revolvers about that time. I had a four inch .357 with SS cylinder and barrel on a medium frame marked "Border Patrol". I had no idea it was so rare until after I sold it.

#10 ·
The New Service is a strange revolver for me. It is awkward in my hands, the DA is horrendous, and the SA isn't anything to write home about either. In fact, the DA was so horrible when I got this, I pulled the sideplate and took some tension off the spring, getting it to something at least workable. However it was a very good service revolver. Parts breakage is exceedingly rare, they stay in time, they take oodles of rounds, they shrug off abuse...and when empty, they make a decent club.

New Service revolvers were legendary for their accuracy and reliability. There were a lot of bullseye records that were broken with the Shooting Masters.

I'm all about the history, which is why I only buy old guns. When I pick up a gun, I want it to transport me to some earlier era when that gun reigned supreme. I'm all about experiencing just a slight sliver of what people in earlier times experienced.

#11 · (Edited)
I've shot about a bajillion 100's with the NRA B16 targets at 25 yards. Slow fire revolver with Smith, #10 #15, #17 #19, and some of the stainless 38 @ 357 models. Nothing funner.
Font Circle Rectangle Pattern Recreation

#12 ·
In the late 1970's I bought an Colt NS .45 Colt with likely a 98% condition. What I later found out, was that it was a factory commercial model, not a RCMP resale? No lanyard on it and no provision for one. What a nice shooter it was. I gave, if memory serves? $225.00 A year later, I traded it for a Colt 'NRA' Goldcup .45acp brand new in the box and some cash. I think I was young and foolish? My daughter has the Goldcup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.