Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About the only thing I can find around here besides pyrodex is Triple Seven but the funny thing is, new to black powder, is when I measure it by weight and put it in my measure it shows it is a little over 100gr so I'm figuring there must be a volume difference between black powder and triple seven can anyone clue me in on the difference. I shoot a 50 cal. This is the measuring device I'm using: Amazon.com : CVA AC1411 See-Thru Powder Measure : Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK so correct me if I'm wrong, Triple seven being 15% more powerful should be loaded at the same volume as BP reducing the weight to match the same load as BP? Is this a correct assumption? That is assuming your measuring device is for BP.

·
Registered
350 Posts
What they ^^^^^ said ! And IMHO 777 is much better than pyrodex. I have experience with both and I am sure someone will follow saying Blackhorn is the best .

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If you're shootin a side lock Blackhorn is a no go. Alliant Black MZ is my favorite for sidelock and inline but hasn't been on LGS shelves all year. But 777 is and doesn't cost $42.00 a lb so it'll do for now!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I use 90 grains (Volume) of Triple 7 FFG in my T/C Black Diamond .50 Cal M/L. However, while Triple 7 is much better than either Black Powder or Pyrodex, I found out that Triple 7 has a 2-year shelf life. Blackhorn 209 is an improvement over any Black Powder Substitute, but can only be used in closed action in-line Muzzle Loaders, and must be fired with a "Magnum" 209 Shotgun Primer.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
At least you can find 777...which is a big plus over powders you can't find.

I do load 777 by volume. Do suspect it's more energetic than black .(Tradtional type rifles)..will frag a percussion cap worse, does give more speed, so I assume more pressure for the same volume.

Have not had any "oops..call the ambulance" type events...but most of the loads are geared towards accuracy rather than max. power.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've never tried Blackhorn but, a friend has and likes it. I've been using 777 for about 5 years or more. I started out using Pyrodex RS because that's what everybody said to use. I got hangfires with it no matter what precautions I took to make sure rifle was dry. I used Goex black for awhile too. It's actually a good powder. Anyway just use 777 by volume and should be ok.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have used Triple 7 that is at least 4 or 5 years old without any change in accuracy. I use the loose stuff but have heard of the pellets absorbing moisture.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I have read that Traditions have a new M/L out where one can charge the rifle by placing a pre-charged cartridge in the chamber, while still ramming the bullet through the muzzle. They call this powder "Triple 8". Anyone have or seen this Tradition brand rifle?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I've seen pictures of one. I don't see anything that I would want in it. Wouldn't be legal here in Idyho. I'll stick with what I've got. Actually faster to load the old fashioned way I think. I've also got some triple 7 that's 5 years old and works just fine. Store it right and it's fine. I only use loose powder, no pellets for me thank you.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I've seen pictures of one. I don't see anything that I would want in it. Wouldn't be legal here in Idyho. I'll stick with what I've got. Actually faster to load the old fashioned way I think. I've also got some triple 7 that's 5 years old and works just fine. Store it right and it's fine. I only use loose powder, no pellets for me thank you.
My container of Triple 7 was five years old, but I stored it in my reloading room where the temp is always 72* and it is bone-dry. Guess I got a bad batch of Triple 7 FFG. On that Tradition M/L I found out it is legal here in Kentucky, but I see some issues in that one must use their charged cartridges called "Fire Sticks", and many M/L shooters are a bit turned off by this fact. Other than that is sounds like an interesting M/L.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Triple 7 is my favorite BP substitute. Although it seems to be a bit squirrelly in C&B revolvers, but that's where Pyrodex is useful. So it's all good. I shoot a .54 Lyman GPR with a PRB using pillow ticking. I did load development for it in a similar manner one does with modern ammo. I started with 60gr by-volume and worked my way up to 100gr by-volume. The accuracy sweet spot turned out to be 80gr by-volume.
I've left T7 in a horn for up to a couple of years in a marine climate and it still fired off just fine. I use either #11 CCI Magnum or RWS caps and Hotshot or Redd Hot stainless nipples. I don't recall the last time I had a misfire after switching over to that combination.

Black powder is denser than any substitute and therefore weighs heavier in like volumes of substitutes. Even though the subs are "fluffier" they are engineered to burn at similar rates and pressures as BP in like volumes.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
How does a person know when T-7 goes bad? Does it look or smell different?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have clumps in the Triple Seven it has gotten moisture in it, supposedly you can dry it out in the oven but you better be single and have good insurance. I had some in speed loaders for three years I just shot after deer season and it was still accurate at 75 yards.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
How does a person know when T-7 goes bad? Does it look or smell different?
My container of Triple 7 was 5 years old, and didn't show outward sides being gone bad. I loaded it up in my T/C Inline as normal, but when I fired it at the 8-point Buck I bagged this past Fall, there was a great deal (more than normal) smoke and the report sounded funny. This was the only sign that my supply of Triple 7 was going bad. I checked it out, online, and many did say that the shelf life is 2-years, under proper conditions as it draws moisture from the air.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts