Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the best days I had hunting was in South Carolina. There was a chap from South Africa here in the U.S.A. on safari. He came here and bought a truck with plans to drive it through our great land and take a few species. S.C. was his first stop. The second day in camp he took two whitetail doe. He was ecstatic! Heretofore I had never seen anyone get excited about shooting an antlerless deer. These were trophies to him. I can't imagine how he behaved when he finally hit the Western states.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Just out of curiousity, what was the first deer you ever harvested? My first 4 were bucks, but I was still very excited when I harvested my first doe. For a lot of folks it's all about a quality hunting experience, along with filling up the freezer! :)

Heck, I still get excited when I harvest a big ol' doe!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First deer was a buck running broadside at about 50 yards. I hit him high in the shoulder and he went end over end with snow flying high in the air. It was a spectacular sight. The next two were standing doe. It wasn't a big rush. I shoot doe now only when I'm told it would benefit the host in some way. With me it's the bone that gets the blood pumping.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ive killed 7 deer in 2 years of huntin.Here they are in order.I got exited as HECK when i squeezed the trigger on them all!2 in 08-09,5 in 09-10.
1st,Button buck
2nd,13 point
3rd,doe
4th,doe
5th,doe
6th,3 point
7th,Spike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any deer is special

Bring down any deer is a thrill. Sometimes it is way you do it. Check out my thread, from both sides of the front. Getting a doe with a Mosin Nagant and a Mauser 98 in the same season will be a good memory for me.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I couldn't even begin to guess how many 100s of deer I've seen in the woods and I still get excited when I see them (antlers or not), even if I don't even intend to shoot them (like when I'm hiking and don't even have a firearm with me). I love watching them. I can't imagine not ever being excited to see them... I figure if I ever get that way, it'll probably be time to stop hunting them.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
Think the most excited I got over a doe being shot is when my 8 yr old grandson popped his first deer with his 6.5x55 Swede a couple years ago. One shot, clean kill. The doe needed culled on the property.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I grew up hunting blacktails in California and remember seeing as many as 200 does in a single weekend, but not a legal buck to be found. When I got invited to hunt with a friend in north-central Wisconsin, my gun tag came with a free doe tag...and the landowner wanted the antlerless deer taken first. Some might think I'd be numb to seeing a doe, after all those ones I had to pass in CA, but the truth is, any time I put my sights on an animal, with the intention of harvesting it, I get a huge adrenaline rush and have to calm myself to make a good shot. I certainly hope that never changes, because as Shane said, if it ever does, I will probably stop hunting.

·
Banned
61 Posts
I get worked up for does and bucks aswell. Even more if I know a nice deer is around but have to wait for a clear shot at 'em

1 - 9 of 9 Posts