Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sears 101.7C 12 ga. side by side that stopped working last night. First the left barrel stopped firing and only the right one wanted to and then the right side locked up too. I took it apart to work on it and I'm usually pretty awesome at these things because I work on firearms all the time, but after cleaning it I went to put it back together and the hammers seem almost impossible to get back on due to the spring tension on the little posts below them. I can't seem to get it back together. This is the first side by side i have worked on. If you know any tricks to this please share cause I'm stumped. Here's some pictures of everything: Sears 12ga - Imgur . If you need me to I can take a video up close, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
13,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There is a schematic of that gun, here. You can get a copy without the watermark by email for $1.50 from the same source. Just click on the Schematics tab for details. The drawing should, at least, enable you to put it together correctly if none of the parts are missing or damaged. The numbers are a convenient identifying reference.

In the photos, the "arms" are the sears (#32 and #34). I don't spot the sear spring (#33 in the drawing). If the spring broke, the sears would not set and the hammers would just come forward as you closed the action and the cocking plunger (#35) went back to its original position. There would then be no firing and the trigger would feel as it does after you've already fired, when things are working normally.

You could try reassembling the mainsprings (#23), mainspring plungers (#24), hammers (#26 and #30) and cocking lever (#29) and its spring (#28) and make sure that all operates. Cocking by hand would be hard because mechanical advantage is low and you are cocking both hammers at once when the cocking lever is pushed rearward. The cocking plunger normally does that job and has the action and barrel as lever arms to provide the required force more easily.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

Although it's been about 40 years since I've worked on one, IIRC slave pins need to be used for the internals, in order to properly reassemble one.

You can also search for info on the gun, which appears to be a Savage/Stevens Model 311 (I have a trouble-free 20ga version), which Savage made/marked to Sears' specs (receiver finish/coating, stock wood type & Sears markings).

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Slave pins definitely. It's been awhile, but I think I used a drill press (no power) to apply downward force and compress the springs. A C-clamp can probably be rigged to apply compression force.

That pin may be designed to go in from one side only.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts