Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been test shooting various factory 12g slug loads and Lee 1oz slugs in a Remington 870 deer barrel 19" 1C with the factory adjustable sights. Thus far at 50yds off the bench large irregular groups. Even tried Breneke slugs. Over the counter gun store talk came the recommendation to use Federal Tru Ball. Has anyone actually used the Federal 12g on paper?. Secondly, I have a Hastings Paradox choke tube . This rifled tube is about 5"long and gas been shot in the 28" vent rib 870 using a 4x scope as well as a red dot. 50yds with the Lee slug is not a effective hunting option accuracy wise.

The genuine article a Holland & Holland Paradox on a bad day will keep two left and right within 2"of the shoulder at 50Yds and hold 6" off a standing post rest at around 1100fps and 725Gr. This one is a well used Hammer gun. After 100yds trajectory and group size goes down hill real quick.

I have never been serious with 12g slug loads as I have the H&H.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Federal Tru-Ball has a reputation for accuracy as does Brenneke. You should try the Dixie Slugs which are hard cast so make sure your gun is wide open - minimum bore diameter is listed on Dixie site.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Rifled choke tubes simply don't work! I don't know why they even offer them for sale. The problem with these are the slug is moving at about maximum velocity when it hits the rifled tube. Use a fully rifled barrel or just the smooth bore barrel.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Your rifled barrels and rifled chokes are for Sabot rounds. They have minimal effect on slugs no matter what flavor. I just use smooth barrel and any choke that isn't a full choke. My preference is IC or IM as the groups seem to be a bit tighter with them. Cylinder just goes all over the place in my gun. 4" groups at 100 yards with IC and both Brenneke and Foster slugs are good enough for me.

The rifling on the slugs has nothing to do with imparting spin or accuracy, its only hype and to get your dollar by pretending its better.

Every gun is its own story and I don't know about your Remington or your H&H, (but I would sure love to take the H&H for a little fresh air and exercise). All I know is my Winchester 1200 and my Mossberg shoot whatever I can get whether its the cheapest or a premium brand all about equally well. Good enough that my 20 gauge is my back up deer gun because it is scoped for turkey.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments Old Grump, the frustration of slugs on paper appears wide spread. Just obtained a few packers of Tru Ball. Next step with the Rem 870 is test firings using the deer barrel with adjustable sights and IC choke. The terminal objective is hogs at 40-60yds. Three shots in 5" at 60yds?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts