Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you give me your opinion on which of these guns might work best for a carry gun?

Bersa BP9cc

Bersa Thunder UC 9mm

Taurus PT709

S&W M&P 9c

S&W M&P Shield

Ruger LC9

Beretta PX4 Storm

I am looking for dependablity, decent accuracy, and am not worried about how many rounds it holds or the looks of it. Also prefer a manual safety or decocker.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I personally would lean toward the Ruger or S&W 9c. I've posted before about my bad experiences with the PT709. Don't know about the Bersa's. I have a ruger SR9c which is a reliable & accurate pistol. I am a lefty so I like the ambi-dexterous safety & mag release. Never had a problem with a Ruger or S&W in the past. Both, in my opinion are good companies that build quality products.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,254 Posts
I have both the S&W MP 9 and the Ruger LC9. The LC9 is easy to carry concealed but the M&P is a much more robust gun. The M&P C or Shield should be more concealable. As for me, I would go with the S&W product.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I don't have the most experience on the subject but here it goes. I would strongly discourage a Taurus. I believe you can't go wrong with anything ruger. The only autoloader I can talk about first hand is the steel 40 s&w imi Jericho 941 (baby eagle) it has proven to be very accurate and dependable. Have put about 650 through it in two weeks not one hiccup. This one has a decocker lever. I agree with Clem on the plastic statement.

·
Banned
14 Posts
I noticed you don't have Jimeneze arms on the list. Go with S&W

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I had a Taurus 945 .45acp for ten years. A friend offered me $400 for it and he needed a carry pistol so I sold it to him. He's as happy with it as I was and it only failedin any way when it failed to feed one time in ten years when I was purposefully running it as dirty as it would go until it stopped feeding. I'd feel comfortable with a 9mm from Taurus' 900 line.

Ruger. No issues there. Ever. Buy if it fits your hands and be confident it will work.

I've heard good things about the Bersas. Never fired one but they seem solid to me.

A friend has that Beretta. He likes it. I'm not sold on it because it doesn't fit my hands right.

The Smith M&P seem to be good pistols.

CZ. Good, solid, well made pistols. Another one that if it fits your hands, buy it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can you give me your opinion on which of these guns might work best for a carry gun?

Bersa BP9cc

Bersa Thunder UC 9mm

Taurus PT709

S&W M&P 9c

S&W M&P Shield

Ruger LC9

Beretta PX4 Storm

I am looking for dependablity, decent accuracy, and am not worried about how many rounds it holds or the looks of it. Also prefer a manual safety or decocker.
Thunder UC Pro Series

If Bersa, then one of their UC Pro models in whatever calibre you are most comfortable with.

The advantage of these are the exposed (not hidden) hammers, and the double action trigger.

Similarly the Beretta px4 is not bad either, since it also has an exposed hammer and double action trigger.

All the others you list are just glock copy cats.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Here's one to add to your list: Ruger P95. It's so ugly no-one will try to steal it, and so accurate you won't want to get rid of it. It's plenty big, but fits snugly in an Uncle Mike's IWB pocket holster, and has a safety with a decocker. The DA trigger pull is a bear, but you can get lighter springs from Wolff Springs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I vote for the Smith and Wesson also. The M&P seems like a large gun to conceal, but I recommend the intruder or king tuk type holster. I just got one for my M&P 40 compact and it makes it really concealable and comfortable to carry. I also recently purchased a kahr CM9 which I like a lot. I've only put 300 rounds through it, but it works perfectly and is really accurate. I didn't realize they had come out with the S&W shield, or I may have gotten that instead of the Kahr.
The S&W M&Ps are very accurate and easy to shoot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I had to choose any gun off that list it would be the S&W M&P Shield followed by the Ruger LC9. You really couldn't go wrong with any gun on that list, except for the Taurus. Taurus in my opinion seems to be hit or miss.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Highly recommend the ruger sr9c. I carry the sr40c often, it's really nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't want to jump on the Taurus hating bandwagon, but I'll throw in my $0.02 on the subject. My girlfriend has a PT709, and she loves it. It's slim, small, and fits her hand particularly well. It generally feeds pretty well, I've never had a feeding problem and I think her occasional error is a result of limp wristing the gun. My major issue with the gun is how far back the trigger is. The pull is fine, but after just a few minutes of shooting my finger hurts from having to contort it to get the trigger pulled. Big downside for me, and causes some major accuracy issues.

I don't have any direct experience with any of the other firearms. I had a Bersa Thunder .45 for a while, it was a lot of fun, seems a little heavy for a carry gun, but of course it was a .45 and that was before I was CCing. All the others seem like excellent choices.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Have heard lots of big claims for the Bersa's, but I'm not convinced. The S&W will vertically string your bullets no matter how tightly you hold it! The Ruger is muzzle-lite and extremely unhandy for myself. The Sig is handy and shoots very well too, but it doesn't point very well though.The EAA Witness is the Hands Down Best 9mm that I have discovered so far. But while you are spending your money anyway... get the 45 witness Compact instead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts