Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I need to buy a Tuffpak ammunition case for my forthcoming travels. They have three sizes (small, medium & large) but it's hard to see on any of the sites selling them how much ammunition you can fit in each sized box. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with them here and could let me know. So I will be taking 308 rounds with me, federal premium to give you an indication of the ammunition packaging size.

Thanks..

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
Smudge, I looked at their rifle cases and they look good and strong but have never seen an ammunition case, unless you intend taking a couple of thousand rounds :) Where did you see them listed ? I didn't see them on their web site. Personally I have never flown to Africa but have a number of friends who have and their airlines have always indicated steel boxes are required ... crazy I know. Flown to the USA many many times and the normal plastic ammo cases with foam below and above the rounds has always been accepted, packed in the middle of your clothes bag. This also fits with European flights as well. Check your airline, see what they say before spending dollars you can spend on more entertainment :)

Just pulled up their youtube piece and there is a mention of the ammo pack on there. Still cannot find it on the web site. It may come ancillary to the rifle case.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
Just found them there and also a supplier here in the UK. Look like a useful piece of kit. £40($65) for the small one here so not cheap, but I just might be tempted. They look very similar in construction to my two Dosco cases and they are seriously tough. The small one I have, I can get two Encore actions and 2 x 16 1/2 inch barrels barrels in and it looks like a camera case.
I would not think you could go far wrong with one. In Europe we don't have to have a lock on the ammo case and let's face it. If someone wants to steal the ammo then they will take the case not try and open it.
Looking forward to "THE STORY", have a good safe trip.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Mr. Smudge, I've flown all over the world, including 6 trips to Africa, and have never taken ammo in anything but a standard plastic case. That meets any airline stipulations I have ever seen. I print out a "label" that lists me as the manufacturer along with number and cartridge designation, but that is NOT necessary, just looks good. As mentioned by Mr. Scrofa, I put in a piece of styrofoam or foam rubber to prevent rattling, also I tape the box shut. I use electrical tape, and if you are a bit careful when you're there, you can salvage the tape to re-use on your return. But I always have some electrical tape in my plunder anyway. Comes in handy. That is for reloads, which is all I ever use, but if you are taking factory ammo, the original box is all you need. Note that you are almost universally limited to 5 KG (11 lbs) TOTAL of ammo, but that is way more than you will need unless you are taking a shotgun (which you haven't mentioned). If you take 30 rounds, unless you are a horrible shot, you will return home with about 20 of them! I never take more than 30, usually only 20. Ammo goes in your checked bag, NOT your gun case, and you should declare it at check in. Just say "there is ammunition in my bag". No surprise to them, because you are checking a firearm. The Tuffpac you refer to is an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Save your money!

Do you have laminated tags with your name and address on them (and ties) for each of your horns and capes? A good idea to do, though not a requirement. Helps assure you get your stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
I , like moosehunt have never used anything other than standard plastic ammo boxes , taped up. If you are flying out of the UK, then put the tape with the box, because the security will want to check them when they check your rifle and at your request will tape them for you. e.g at London Stansted, the security is behind bullet proof glass and the guns and your checked luggage with ammo have been xrayed. They still open the boxes. Not sure they know what they are looking at but it looks good. BE CAREFUL, you do not let your checked bag go at the check in desk until the ammo has been looked at. Happened to me once at London Stansted and it took almost two hours to retrieve and almost missed our flight as a result.
Some of my friends flying to South Africa have had to put their ammo in metal boxes, so check the individual airline requirement. Good to see Air France now have pre booking for firearms so they know you will be arriving.
The London airports seem the worst. Birmingham BHX is usually very slick.
I'm still tempted to buy one of those smart little TUFF boxes though :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to take 60 308 rounds and 60 30-30 rounds. I want plenty as it's likely we will be doing some driven game so could easily rattle off a few! I'm taking my fathers gun out as well which is on my licence as I have the travel card with my licence and he does not. I'm still tempted with one of these boxes just to be safe :)

·
Banned
746 Posts
It has the dimensions of the interior on the site. Just grab your ammo and measure and you will be able to at least have a rough idea.

·
Registered
967 Posts
With that much ammo (I think you'll find it way, way more than you need, but your option), you had better check the weight. Remember, you will be limited to 5 KG (11 lbs) total. Also, your total bag weight is limited (50# for most international flights), and if you go over, it gets very expensive, and this Tuffpac ammo case is going to be relatively heavy. It all adds up pretty fast. That is the down side of a Tuffpac gun case---very good and strong, but very heavy.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
Made numerous trips back and forth to the USA prior to and after 9/11 and have never been questioned about my normal 50 plastic ammo box wrapped in gaffer tape. Customs and TSA on arrival seem pretty relaxed about the whole affair and the security guys just pop it in the scanner. In 30 yrs I have probably been lucky but only once was a rifle slightly damaged(scope knocked out of sync). Usually have to drag myself away from immigration guys when they know you are going hunting; they just want to tell you about that monster buck they missed last week :)
Check the airline and call them to ask about their regulations and that you will have a rifle with you. Takes just minutes but can save a lot of heartache. Only British Airways out of Heathrow have ever lost a rifle/s causing us to have a 400 mile return drive across Sweden to the airport the following day.

The MTM boxes are almost indestructible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts