Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Does tumble lubing with Lee liquid alox work as well with cast bullet designs that were designed to be lubed by filling there grease grooves with another type of lube? I would like to try Lees 429-214-swc and TL430-240-swc molds, but only want to tumble lube. Also I wonder if the 429-214-swc mold will cast large enough out of the mold to work well with my SBH? So far .430 bullets have worked well, and wheel weights is all I can get to cast with. Thanks for any help. Paul

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Yes. Works fine. Lots of folks are doing it when they have bullets that drop out of the mold the correct size for firing as-cast rather than sized (usually about 0.002" oversize).

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
I like the tumble lube method better because it does not just fill the lube grooves but coats the entire outside of the bullet with lube. All the bearing surfaces of the bullet are covered by lube which I like.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Yupp! working fine here in several calibers.

I'm not fond of liquid alox on the molds that require sizing though!

Cheezywan

·
Registered
579 Posts
Xlox works for me on 45acp Lyman 200gr bb lswc. i apply using the Lee method, Xlox is heated before applying.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use it on conventional cast bullets also. I thin it 50/50 with mineral spirits and apply one THIN coat and let it dry. Size and GC if needed then apply a second thinned coat.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have had good luck with a Lyman mould a 200gr SWC H&G design with w-w falls out of mould at .4525 tumble lube shoots great in colt .45 ACP govt. model at about 850 ft/sec

1 - 7 of 7 Posts