Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you good folks got an excess tumbler you could live without?

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Jim,

Unfortunately no, but if the ocassion arises where you have a choice of tumblers, new or used, I've had very good luck with my Dillon tumblers. I buy the smaller one (rated at 500 max) and use either walnut or corn with a couple caps of brasso and in 90/120 minutes have nice bright brass.

As I'm sure you know, the Dillon is a vibrator and I'm not familiar with the results of the tumbler style apparatus.

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Brasso for case polish

DOK,

You mention using Brasso in your tumbler for case polish. Brasso contains Amonia which is harmful to brass and can weaken it. It's better to stick to the commercial case polish for this job. I use the Midway brass polish and it works great for me. Like you say, a couple capfuls in a load and the cases clean up very nicely.

:)

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Longrider,

I assumed that the ammonia in Brasso might have some a negative effect on the brass but used it any way after talking to folks that have used it on brass put through over 24 tumbling and resizing. But I agree, and have reverted back to the Lyman and/or Dillon materials. I order from Midway ocassionally and will pick some of their polishing material next order. I've noted that a lot of folks also recommend car polish?

Dan

·
Registered
306 Posts
tomh2002, Intel6 posted a while back he is using Nu Finish 2000 car polish. It comes in a orange bottle, he uses about 3 table spoons in his media, and when the cases start comming out a little dull he adds more. Let it run 10 or 15 min to mix well and toss your brass in. Most automotive stores carry it, Kame-a-part (K-Mart), Wall Mart, etc.. works great.

Gun Runner

·
Banned
28 Posts
Making your tumbler media last longer

When I got my first bottle of Midway's tumbling media polish/renewer I smelled the isopropal alcohol in it. I've been pouring a few ounces of isopropal alcohol in the running machine to clean the media and degrease the cases.
Jim

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been looking around for some tumblers. I've been looking in the $50-$60 range. Can anyone make a suggestion. I've looked at the Lyman Twin Turbo Tumbler and noticed a model of both 110 Volts and a 220 Volts model. What's the difference? I just want to plug it into a standard wall outlet.

Thanks!

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Two-Bits:
The 220 volt models are for European users and others where the standard wall outlet voltage is 220. North America uses 110V, so that's what you want. Radio Shack has transformers for international travelers so you can use your electric razor in England, etc. The prong configuration is different so you can't goof up. IIRC, English prongs are turned 90° to NA prongs.

A friend has a Lyman 1200, likes it. I'm still using a little old (discontinued) Vibra-shine.

I was using an ounce of water per quart of corncob to keep the dust down. Rubbing alcohol keeps the dust down and cleans the lube off cases too.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Jack

·
Banned
57 Posts
visit midway

looks to me most tumblers are made by the same company and everyone stamps their name on them.I purchased the midway version for $39.I use corn cob and walnut shells from pet supplies plus for about 40 cents per pound and use brass polish available from midway.I'll try the rubbing alcohol thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts