Saw a very clean, very tempting Turk mauser today. I know just enough about these to realize I don't know very much!
Wondering if anyone can help identify the exact receiver that I am looking at. It's obviously a 98 type, but Turkey had several variants, and their own unique barrel thread on at least some of them.
The information that may help identify it is:
- Year stamped on the receiver ring is 1937.
- The bolt release is different than a standard 98. Instead of the little serrated wedge on top of the release, it has a curved extension that lays flat up against the receiver ring, all the way to the stripper clip cutout.
- There is some sort of writing on the left side of the receiver, I am guessing Arabic? Haven't seen this on a Turk before, maybe on the rest I have seen they were just too dirty to notice.
- Straight bolt (doesn't match the receiver, no surprise).
- No blueing on the bolt or receiver.
I would like to find out any additional information, especially if the outside dimensions of the receiver fit the usual specs for 'small ring' or 'large ring'. If they do, it's easier to get an aftermarket stock that is a drop in.