Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm smoking my turkey this year and here are my recipes for all the goodies.

Turkey-
10-12lb bird, cleaned out and rinsed.
Brine-
1/3 C Sea Salt, 1 C Brown Sugar, 1/2 C Maple Syrup or 1/2 Teaspoon of maple flavoring, 1 T Garlic Powder, 1 T Onion Powder 1/2 Teaspoon of Poultry Seasoning, 1 Teaspoon of Italian Seasoning (oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary. 1 Bay leaf.
Use 1 quart warm water to start with so all salt and other ingredients will dissolve in water. Then use cold water to cover bird. I recommend a 3 gallon size bucket to hold bird. Cover and refrigerate overnight, up to 24 hours. Its okay if your bird isn't thawed when you put it in the brine.
Smoke at 250 degrees for 4 hours, increase to 350 until bird reaches 165 degrees in the breast.

Apple Pecan Stuffing-
Not for in the bird.
1 large onion diced, 1lb apples (2lg or 3 med) cored, peeled and diced, 3 stalks celery chopped, 1/2 C Pecans toasted and chopped, 1/2 C Walnuts toasted and chopped. 1 stick butter, 1 20oz loaf of bread lightly toasted and cut into 3/4" pieces, 1 can chicken broth, 1/2 Teaspoon Poultry seasoning, 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 Teaspoon Italian seasoning.

Melt butter in 12" skillet, add onions and celery and cook for 10 minutes, add apples and cook for 5 more minutes. Add chicken broth and seasonings. warm mixture, does not need to boil. Toast pecans and walnuts for 10 minutes at 300 degrees.

In large bowl, toss bread with mixture and nuts. Transfer to 13x9 baking dish and cover loosely with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Asiago Garlic Mashed Potatoes-

This is to make for up to 4 hungry people, adjust for larger groups.

3-4 medium Idaho Russets, washed, peeled, and chopped into 1.5" cubes or so. Boil until fork tender.

In large bowl, combine potatoes with 1/2 C Sour Cream, 2 Tablespoons butter, 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon horseradish, 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 C Asiago cheese (or Italian Blend with Asiago), 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic and Onion powder, 1/2 Teaspoon coarse Sea Salt. Mash and mix to combine, let set for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Awesome Cranberries (make ahead)

1 - 12 oz package of fresh cranberries
1/3 C Apple Cider
1/3 C Orange Juice (with pulp)
3/4 C Brown Sugar

In 2 qt saucepan, mix brown sugar and juices and heat to low boil, add cranberries and bring back to low boil then reduce to simmer. Cranberries will begin to pop and reduce. Stir occasionally and mash a few cranberries against the side of the vessel. Cook about 15 minutes or until sauce thickens and reduces. Remove heat and let cool on stove for 5 minutes, then transfer to bowl and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to 24.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its gonna be some good eatin'!

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts