Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive reloaded for a long time but never for a shotgun.im friends with a fellow now that has done this for a long time for shootin skeet & has a jamup set up reloading shot shells.he says they just loadem up and go shoot. i wouldnt think you would just throwem together,so what do i need to do to get a good turkey load? i dont want to buy them anymore I want to make my own. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'm not a big-time turkey hunter but I get a couple or so every year. I started out with the commercial loads of 1-7/8 oz of copper plated lead in Winchester and they worked pretty well. Lately I've gone to lighter faster loads and I have become very partial to the BPI "Hammer Load". I've mentioned it here a few times. 1-3/8 oz of lead at 1480 fps, and it absolutely stones turkeys, coyotes rabbits etc with authority. Here is where we discussed it when I first tested it.http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=63379&highlight=hammer+load

·
Registered
416 Posts
i wouldnt think you would just throwem together,so what do i need to do to get a good turkey load?/quote]

No, it isn't a good idea to just throwem together. You need first, a good book on shotshell loading (I like "Reloading For Shotgunners"), and second, a press (A MEC Sizemaster or 600 jr would be my choice). Since you already reload, you must already have a powder scale, another necessity.

Read the book, along with the press manual.

Every turkey hunter has his own pet "Turkey Load". Mine is archaic, doesn't even use any plastic wadding, but it works. What you decide on will have to be determined by your hunting conditions and what your gun will pattern.

DC

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks fellows.i didnt mean he just throws some powder & shot in & goes shooting,he goes by his loading manuals.sorry i didnt clarify that,i know how to reload for a rifle to achieve accuracy but i havent a clue how to reload shotshells to achieve good patterns.i suspect it would be the same as a rifle(trying different powder charges with diferent size & weight of shot) with the exception of different wads& chokes.am i accurate in my thinking? ive always used factory loads & just want to make my own. thanks again for your help.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,751 Posts
You just have to try different combinations to see what the gun will pattern best.

Having said that, my turkey calling load is whatever odds and ends of old trap and skeet loads that are laying around the place. The turkeys I've called in couldn't tell the difference.

Admittedly, I am not the most serious turkey hunter in the world......

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i hear ya mike, it seems to me that the wads would make the biggest difference in how they will pattern.ill loadem up & start pounding my shoulder & see what i can come up with.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have loaded specialty buffered copper plated turkey loads that wouldn't pattern worth a flip from an O/U, but did fine from an 870. I have loaded standard field loads that have printed 90% at forty yards. As has been mentioned you will have to pattern your gun with different loads. I went back to 2 3/4" loads only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts