Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to his forum.

I am wondering about the feasibility of turning a newer rifle like a Ruger M77 (Hawkeye, GSR, etc.) into a Kar98 or Yugo M48 lookalike.

I really love the look and feel of old Mausers, but 8mm is drying up and I am not a reloader. Additionally, I am not so interested in the collector value of the Mausers (I just like them) and as such I would really like something that wasn't beat up and would prefer to have a new production gun with a factory new bore that I can shoot accurately a lot. So one thing I could do is just buy a modern Mauser-like rifle like a Ruger Hawkeye or something, but I am really not a fan of sporter stocks. I really like the full length military stocks of the old Mausers, with the top hand guard and everything. I have seen full length Mannlicher stocks you can get for more modern guns but they don't look anything like military stocks.

So, I am wondering:

- Is it possible to fit an old Mauser stock for K98 or Yugo onto a modern rifle like a Ruger M77 type gun (I doubt it but I might as well ask)?

- How much effort and/or money would it cost to have a stock made like an older Mauser stock for a new gun?

- Are there any stocks out there like this, that look like a military style stock from the old days that can be fitted on newer guns?

All responses are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
You could of course have a crack at making one yourself and get even greater satisfaction.

May be possible but would probably mean some fettling and filling

Sure someone will be along to give advise.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Instead of trying to fit the angled recoil lug of a M77 into a Mauser stock I suggest you look for a M94/96 Swede 6.5x55 in its original stock. Even if its present stock had been butchered you will find all the components to replace the missing ones. You will have a very accurate, very capable rifle.

Want something extraordinary? Find a Swiss K31 7.5x55. Right up there with a 30-06 in performance. Amazingly accurate and the most perfect machine work of any military rifle in the world, down to the last polishing detail.

·
Super Moderator
3,786 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Glad to see you here.

The project you mentioned may be possible, but would likely be prohibitively expensive. I would agree with the thought of looking for a used military rifle in excellent condition. I have found Mauser rifles on the used gun racks in various gun shops that had the stocks cut down and have remilitarized them. That was a simple fix and did not break the bank. So it depends what you prefer. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Not sure that ammo for the 8x57 is "drying" up. I've owned two in the last decade and was able to easily find as much as I wanted or needed at any number of places online. True, the local Wal-Mart may not have it in stock, but even if you don't (can't?) buy online I'm sure it can be found in most all the big sporting good outlets.

I'd simply cure your need by doing some shopping around and buying a former military "built" M98 in 7x57, 8x57 or .308 and enjoy it. I'm pretty sure that would also be the less expensive route as well. You might Google Mitchell's Mausers to try and find one that a previous buyer may have become disillusioned with. I'm not sure about the price and availability of them now, but for someone NOT wanting a true collector, but rather a well functioning representative, that may be the way to go.

As already mentioned, opening up your choices to a K31, M96, Mosin or Enfield might also help you out. Good Luck!

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
14,335 Posts
Military Mausers are still available in 7x57, 7.63x53, 30-06, 308 and 8mm. A ruger action is only distantly related to a Mauser and the stocks do NOT interchange, but nothing says you couldn't make a duplicate 'looking' stock for anything.

In short, a military Mauser will cost about a quarter of what a 'custom' Ruger would.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Good 8x57 Mauser ammo is hard to find right now. S & B makes 196 grain soft point ammo to original military velocities that will shoot to point of aim in a military Mauser. They make only a few runs a year and it is hard to find. Right now I cannot find that particular ammunition on line. There are several other brands, but most are loaded several hundred feet per second slower. Hornady makes a match load to military velocity, but it is expensive.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,122 Posts
Find an Israeli mauser that was converted to .308 win, with a decent bore. Should solve all 'problems' at a fraction of the time, trouble, and money. ;)

Or a 1917 Enfield in .30-06.... there are decent 03 and 03A3 Springfields out there... Enfields in .308... the list goes on and on.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I'm not about to argue about anything here, but Hornady match ammo is widely available for $25/box, FMJ 198gr loads from $17/box and 200gr hunting loads at $17/box from PPU. 145 vendors, total, showing shippable supplies online. Hornady Interlock hunting ammo is also widely available.

·
Premium Member
14,335 Posts
'..... wonder how my 280Z would look as a travel trailer?? ^^ zzzzzzzzzz

Reactions: baddad457

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
you can still buy a NEW '98 mauser...looks just like WW-2. Mauser still sells theem, naturally they are more popular in Germaan, so you might just want to get one imported, new.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Welcome to the shooters forum.
Think I'd go along with looking for a used rifle that matches your "needs". Finding a Mauser would be a step up over making a Ruger look like one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow I appreciate all of the responses!

I think perhaps finding an Israeli Mauser in 308 or rebarreling/rechambering a Yugo Mauser might be a way to go versus transforming a Ruger. Either that or just getting a new gun and just living with it.

I have some experience with woodworking and have access to everything I think I would need to make a stock, but I have never made a stock and would have to do some research into how to make it proper so as to not ruin performance and accuracy. Maybe I will do that if I don't find an Israeli Mauser in 308 in good shape for a decent price.

Any idea on what the price would be for gunsmith to rebarrel/rechamber a Yugo Mauser to 308? Also if I were to get an Israeli Mauser with a less than ideal bore, how much would it cost approximately to have the barrel redone for that?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Carrot, first welcome to the forum. You don't list where you are. You can check out ER Shaw for barrels
https://www.shawcustombarrels.com

One thing to consider about going from either a commercial action is having sights fitted to the barreled action.

CD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, I am new to his forum.

I am wondering about the feasibility of turning a newer rifle like a Ruger M77 (Hawkeye, GSR, etc.) into a Kar98 or Yugo M48 lookalike.

I really love the look and feel of old Mausers, but 8mm is drying up and I am not a reloader. Additionally, I am not so interested in the collector value of the Mausers (I just like them) and as such I would really like something that wasn't beat up and would prefer to have a new production gun with a factory new bore that I can shoot accurately a lot. So one thing I could do is just buy a modern Mauser-like rifle like a Ruger Hawkeye or something, but I am really not a fan of sporter stocks. I really like the full length military stocks of the old Mausers, with the top hand guard and everything. I have seen full length Mannlicher stocks you can get for more modern guns but they don't look anything like military stocks.

So, I am wondering:

- Is it possible to fit an old Mauser stock for K98 or Yugo onto a modern rifle like a Ruger M77 type gun (I doubt it but I might as well ask)?

- How much effort and/or money would it cost to have a stock made like an older Mauser stock for a new gun?

- Are there any stocks out there like this, that look like a military style stock from the old days that can be fitted on newer guns?

All responses are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
It's just too expensive. As other posters said, just get yourself a YUGO Mauser. Most have dark barrels and can be inexpensive. Lots of 8 M/M ammo out there to burn for cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Howdy Carrot,

I have a Mauser in .308 (shiny bore) still in its military dress that I'd be willing to sell. I had thought about going just the opposite direction you described - sporter stock, drill & tap, etc., but never got around to it.

I have some pictures but can't seem to get them attached

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you do all your own woodwork it wouldn't cost much but it would be one b--tch of an inletting job. Might be fun to try it. Most any idea you could come up with has been tried somewhere by someone. Wood is an amazing substance, it carves easy and can be filled with all kinds of epoxy to cover your mistakes. In the end it might look like something only your mother would love but it's the journey that counts. I've stocked a few mausers years ago when it was cheap and not all mine turned out great but they turned out regardless.
You might have to take considerable measurements at first to see if there's enough wood to cut away at.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts