Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And all I had to buy was buy some cheaper ammo. Been playing around with premium ammo for a year (haven't started handloading for it yet, still accumulating brass) and best groups were about 1-1/2 inch. Acceptable for me, but would like better. A couple of months ago I saw some Federal red box 150 grain SP's at Wally World for $13.97 a box. Figured why not? At a minimum they would provide practice while building up my supply of brass. Finally took them to the range today, and it turns out they shoot great! Far better than anything else I have tried. Go figure:confused:

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Most guns will like a particular factory type ammo, you just have to shoot enought different brands to know which is and which is not liked by your gun. Same goes for reloading at the bench, it is always trial and error and your labor of time that will make that gun shoot MOA or less.;)

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Glad to hear you've found an inexpensive factory load that shoots well from your gun. This is always encouraging because when you finally get around to handloading, you already know it will shoot good groups, once you find the right combination. On that note: Try to stick to one brand of brass, as you accumulate it for reloading. If you have several different kinds, it can be more difficult to find just the right load for your gun, because you have to start over with each brand of brass.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The problem with "premium" ammo is often "premium" bulets. Designing to expand enough at long range/reduced velocity and not too much at close range/high velocityoften requires more complex construction than the old, standard "cup and core" styles; while bullet makers have long had the knack of making well-balanced, concentric bullets of the old style, making accurate bullets of the newer types is more exacting. So, while these bullets may perform better at impact, they often will not give accuracy as good as the older types.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Yeah, I kinda think the 180 gr. light mags are a little bit of overkill for whitetails. I like the idea of shooting a 150 grain load at them anyway.
When you start handloading, give some consideration to shooting 165gr bullets from your '06; they are the best compromise between muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, sectional density, recoil and (as a result of all the above) terminal performance. It is the perfect bullet for deer, hogs, bear and elk, from the '06. Just as the 140gr is perfect for the 270 Win. and the 150 grain bullets are perfect for the 280 Remington and 308 Winchester, 165gr bullets are the ideal combination from the old warhorse, itself.

Or, I could just be full of horse manure tonight...I've been accused of worse. :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will give the 165's a shot. I am just generally a fan of using the lightest load I can that does the job well. But I doubt if I will be able to resist the temptation to load some 165's. Shoot, I will probably have to load some 220's even though I will probably never have a need for them!

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
But, I always thought the whole idea behind the 30/06 was that it was soooooooo versatile with all the different bullet weights available:confused::confused: I'm not into compromise, personally. But i won't argue against 165s for deer & typical hog sized game. I'm wanting a tad more for big stuff or stuff with teeth and claws. Just me, though;)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,355 Posts
Well, that does sound tempting. But after a while it seems that experimenting with all sorts of loads and changing sight settings consumes a lot of time.... so, I suspect most people end up with a 'do it all' bullet and stick with that. That's what I did, 165gr. Partition for one gun, and 180gr. Partition for another.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.