Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who uses a turret press for rifle reloading? What Brand? Do they give as good results on hunting bullets as a single stage press? I am thinking of getting a manual indexing press.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use a Lyman T-Mag II turret press to reload for my .338WM. This press works well, and has been improved from the T-Mag I. But in my view, the best turret press out there is the Redding T-7. This press holds 7 dies, that once adjusted and locked on the turret you don't have to mess around with. All you do is move from one die to the next, instead of having to remove the die to replace it with the next die. The T-7 is expensive, but Midway and others offer deals that are pretty good sometimes. But a good thing about presses such as the T-7 is that it will last several lifetimes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also use a Lyman Turret and like it very well. Instead of rotating it around to each die position per round, I use the batch method. 100 plus cases per position. I use it like a single stage press but have all the dies and powder measure pre set in the turret head. This way uses fewer hand motions and is actually faster.

I use a dillon powder measure, which inside sizes, bells the mouth and drops the powder with one stroke of the lever.

Jeff

·
Registered
40 Posts
What good is a turret that has more than 5 positions? Do you load up more than one set of dies in it? Perhaps with a 454C/45LC combo oyu oculd have different seating and crimping dies or something.

Can someone explain?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Searoy: I only have 3 dies on my T-Mag II (neck sizing, full sizing, bullet seater). But for those who use more than one set of dies, the extra room is useful for reloading for an extra cartridge.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I size my rifle brass on a single stage press, clean the brass, hand prime, then finish loading on a 3 station Lee turret. Can't tell the difference with the finished product compared to my single stage work.
cukrus

·
Registered
29 Posts
308shtr: Keep in mind that if you buy a T-Mag, you want the "T-Mag II." The "II" has been modified to take the slack on the back side of the turret.

Also, check around for deals on the Redding T-7. If you get a good deal from Midway or another dealer, take it. You won't be sorry. The T-7 (and even the original Redding Turret press) is the "mother" of all turret presses.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think you'll want to look at the Lee turret. The dies stay with the replaceable turrets, which can be changed in seconds. When set to manual indexing, it can be used like a single station press; but when set to automatic indexing, it's like a low speed progressive. You put in a case, pull the handle 3, (or 4) times, and you have a finished cartridge. And, the price can't be beat.

Darrel

·
Banned
8 Posts
I use the 4 hole Lee Turret Press. I go from 9mm to 45-70 in no more time than it takes to change the turret and the shell holder which is about 30 seconds.

Using the auto-index, I load 250 rounds of handgun an hour and then removing it (which takes about 2 seconds), I can use the press as a single stage for 45-70. I still use different turrests though so I don't have to re-adjust dies. If your needs are more than 250-300 rounds a week, you may want to consider a fully progressive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a Lyman Tmag, 6 hole turret press. Really like it for loading 50/100 round batches.

I have multi turrets set up this way:

#1 Turret--38 Spec dies in 2 holes/357 Mag dies in 2 holes/resizer die in 1 hole and I use the remaining hole to mount my powder throw.

#2 Turret--357 Sig dies for lead bullets in 2 holes/357 Sig dies for jacketed bullets in 2 holes/ resizer die in 1 hole and the remaining hole is used for the power throw.

#3 Turret-- rifle dies

My press IS NOT permanently mounted; in that, my bride and I use the same space. I sure like having everything set up and ready to go when I get it out.

I am a lefty and the Tmag can be set up for righties and lefties.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Turret press

Went with Redding a few years back- Reason, I wanted more than the current offering at that time, and RCBS did not make one. I reload for ALL but of course rimfire, there fore have several turrets. two hold resizing dies. several hold two calibers each, have a couple of extras, and good thing, cause I will have one set up for the new 500 mag alone. I keep them in a tupperware container, each turret has it's own, and there is some fomrubber in the bottom. Thus they are sealed, keeping out dust, and all manner of critters that may come along. By the way, this was after trying a lee for a year that for me just didn't hold up. Also, after scratching 3 sets of carbide dies in aweek, I went to depriming ALL brass before cleaning etc. Works for me. :)
Good Luck :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Lee 4-Hole Turret press that I think works great. I probably could have gone with the 3-Hole press instead.

I deprime all my brass first then put them in a tray. When I watch TV, I prime the brass with the Lee primer. After all is primed and I have some time, I go downstairs and finish off the reloading using only 3 stations on the turret (charge, seat and crimp).

I only load .45LC and .38Spl. and have the dies for each on a separate turret.

Whenever I have contacted Lee's support they have always given me a prompt response and even replaced for free a part that I had broken.

I have no expierience with other manufacturers, but I'm sure all the different turret presses accomplish the same end product. Lee, in my opinion, just does it for less.

·
Registered
37 Posts
to all

BUY A DILLON 550B AN STOP MESSING AROUND WILL DO ALL A T. PRESS WILL CHEAPER FASTER AN BETTER. AN THATS NO BULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I've got to agree with Chris. You can use the 550 as "turret" if you want. It advances only when you flip the star that rotates the shellholder, complete control. If you want to load one shell at a time, no problem. If you want to load 4-600rounds and hour, no problem. The only real problem comes into light if you want to load anything LARGER than the .470 Nitro or .460 Weatherby because this press won't do it. What's better, is that you can use it as a "turret" press and switch your dies out, without adjustment, with the purchase of a toolhead that simply slides in and out. If you can shoot well enough to tell the difference between ammo loaded on this press and any other press, I'd like to see it. I load my .223 varmint ammo on a 550B, progressivley, and there is NO difference in accuracy between the ammo loaded on my single stage press with individually measured charges.

·
Banned
1 Posts
I use a Redding T-7 Turrent press. I load 30.06, .45 acp, 9mm, and .44 mag. I paid 160.00 and got it at D&R sports. They are a stocking dealer. I am very happy with this press. I pretty much use it as a single stage. Some day soon I will purchase a progressive, but until then, I'm very happy with this press. **** it takes two hands to lift it out of the box, very heavy (25 lbs)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here`s for Dillon

I have spent a lot of money on shooting related things only to later wish I had bought something else, but I must say my 550b is a perfect machine, there is not one thing I can be even slightly critical about it, and on top of that if I tear it up which I have done they won`t even let me pay for the repair parts. I would never have believed someone`s word about it but if you ask anyone who has one and really uses it, I feel they would say the same as me, I do have a single stage press for some things but money spent on a 550b is wisely spent, in my humble opinion. David Texarkana Tex. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Go with the new Redding T7 turret press. It's the best currently available. Yeah it cost more but you get what you pay for. Don't waste your $$ on a Lee turret. next in order of quality would be the RCBS & Lyman turrets. A recent issue of Handloader Magazine had an article on turret presses. Note the Lee wasn't even mentioned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts