Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"TWO GUNSHOT FATALITIES where .38 Special handgun ammunition  was used inappropriately in .30-30 Winchester lever-action rifles."

I found this on the web but no further information was offered. I never thought about this, but if you have two lever action rifles, one chambered in .357 Magnum and the other in .30-30, and you’re shooting them at the same time, BE CAREFUL THAT YOU DON”T accidentally drop a .38 Special /.357  cartridge into the .30-30 and fire it!

The .38 Special/.357 Magnum case is about .040” smaller in diameter than a .30-30 chamber so if one is fired in a .30-30, when the oversized bullet enters the .30-30 chamber neck, most of the pressure would escape out of the rifle’s action and into the shooters face. Being a bystander would not be too healthy either.

Has anybody else heard of this and have further information?

Stay safe, Pards!

Jack

(Edited by John Kort at 7:59 am on May 6, 2001)

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
This is the kind of tragedy that can be easily avoided if one is cautious. I never take two rifles to the ranges at the same time where something like this can happen. For example, my Savage 99 .300 goes to the range with my Marlin 444P, but not when there is a .30-06/.270/.280 around. Any of those would accept a .300 by mistake for likely drastic consequences. But not the 444.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Boo Booed last year. Had s&W mtn. guns and others lying on my shooting table and were shooting them in rotation. I accidently loaded 6 ea .44 mags into my .45 colt mtn. gun and fired all 6 with NO apparant problem. I noticed the mistake when ejecting the cases that they looked funny. I try to be more careful now.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've parted company with the 45 Colt since adopting the 44 magnum in handgun and rifle. I wanted no mistakes anywhere, from the loading bench to the field.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts