Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need comments regarding cast bullets in my BLR .308? How will they work? What weight? What powder.
Also, is the Winchester Model 94 in .444 Marlin stout enough to handle cast bullets in front of hotter loads, even medium loads?
Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sunday Creek,
I can't help with the 308 question, but I can on the 444win. one . Your 94 win should be able to shoot any thing the marlin can. Cast bullets are very effective. One usually gets around a two inch wound channel and complete pass through at any angle. As a bonus cast bullets are easier on the barrel. Check out Loadswap for data. Start at least 10% below powder charge and work up slowly. Some of those loads are a might on the hot side and may be too much for some guns. Hodgdons #27 is a good manuel to refference. I hope this helps a little.
                                                    Yours truly,
                                                      Walt

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Walt, I grew up shooting Model 94s but some people have told me that the new Winchesters are too weak, or at least, weak compared to the Marlins in the big bores. I have a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 and killed an elk with it this year using a Garrett round. Perhaps the .444 is too similiar and I should look at a .348 or .356. And, the gun that I am looking at is the Winchester Black Shadow with the synthetic stock and I don't know how light it is and whether it can handle recoil. I can't seem to find any Black Shadow owners.

John

Col. 3:23    Matt: 6:33

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Sunday Creek

I have a winchester Timber Carbine. I have not had any trouble with it. I have fired between two and three hundred maximum published loads through it with various bullets. The heaviest bullet i have used is a 320 gr. LBT from a custom caster in Abiline.
I have fired a number of maximum loads with bulk 240 gr Remington jacketed bullets with no trouble.
The Winchester magazine and load gate require deeper seating of the bullet than the Marlin guns.
I have taken a Cerosafe cast of the chamber and it matches the drawing in the NRA Handloading book, (as close as I can measure). This means there is virtualy no throat. I have not found this to be a serious problem.
Making the turn from the loading gate into the magazine is the limiting factor in the Winchester.
You can open the action, leaving the carrier down, drop a loaded round onto the carrier and insert a round into the chamber. When you close the action you will push the round into the magazine and close the action on the loaded round. Rounds that will not go through the gate into the magazine will work through the action and chamber.

Lighter loads with cast bullets are accurate (2" bracket at 100 yards). At fifty yards you can shoot remarkably well with practice. My rifle weighes less than seven pounds with a K-3 Weaver. Use a Past type recoil pad at the bench.

The ports are a major drawback on this rifle, both at the range and when hunting with friends. Get the longer barrel if you can.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
My post got long and I still forgot something.
Be careful in your choice of scope mounts or reciever sights.
I shot off a Redfield scope mount in less than fifty rounds.
The Williams recievr sight works well on the big bore but require carefull mounting. Make sure you try the screws in the recievre first. Check for length and clean threads.

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
William, I tried mounting a Tasco EXP on this black Shadow. No luck. Ejected bullets occassionally struck the adjustment knob. Are  Scout scopes a possibility, or what else would you suggest. I have thought of rotating the scope but of course that changes what each knob controls.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Sunday Creek

Are Tasco's 30mm?

If they are 1" you can get extended rings. I use Burris extende rings for a Weaver V4 on my .307 B.B.

Someone has posted an interesting picture of a Winchester Timber carbine with a forward scope mount.
This one was well done, and solderd to the barrel.
I think the post was listed under Model 71's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts