Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been playing with the loads for a .308 win for a few month's now, found something interesting and wanted to know if anybody had this before. Using sierra 168 gr match bullets and varget powder. The rifle shot's 1 inch or less with almost all different charges, what is interesting is 41.9 gr of varget will shot .45 inch 5 round groups, and 43.2 gr varget will shot .45 inch 5 round groups also. Every thing above, below, and between these loads results in .6 to 1 inch groups. Seating bullet .020 from lands, cci br-2 primers, 100 yd range. What do you guy's think? Stick with the higher charge?

·
Registered
147 Posts
i had a similar experience with the 300 ultra and 168 gr. ttsx.
charge of 86 gr to 94 gr of reloader 25 gave a 1.25" 21 shot group. (superposed the 7, 3 shot group.)
17 of the 21 were in less than 1 inch

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I use 45.0 grains of Varget with a 150 gr. BTSP bullet in my "Fussy" S&W Model "B" rifle in .308. I get 5-shot groups of around .50" @ 100 yards. I would say you are receiving good accuracy with your load of 41.9 grs/168 gr. bullet. I guess the groups are the same if you even off your charge of 42.0 grs. of Varget?

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
TX and 300,

What you are seeing are Chris Long's barrel time sweet spots. The paper on the topic is here. It is basically a pressure impulse started at firing then reflected back and forth along the barrel at the speed of sound in steel (about 17 times the speed of sound in air). These traverse the barrel length several times during the time your bullet is in the barrel. When your bullet's exit time is synchronized to a dead spot in the wave reflection, you get best accuracy.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have also found 43 grains of Varget to be my accuracy load along with the 168 Sierra BTHP. What rifle are you shooting and what is the barrel length?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rifle is a story, I bought a new savage 110 several years ago, never was happy with it. My dad does a little gunsmithing and had spare 24 in heavy remington barrel. So its savage bolt, remington barrel, rifle basix trigger, and bell and carlson stock. I call it a remage.. its a mutt. Shots dam good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts