Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
A terrible act of terrorism - by a fellow American.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A federal judge among those killed. I agree with what "Woodchuck" said. Unfortunately the thugs will always have access to firearms. Even when we don't. What a shame. My thoughts and prayers are with all.

·
Banned
90 Posts
I dont think its going to take much more before things get really bad. I cant stand our elected officials or democrates for that matter, but you cant just shoot them either. So i will be saying a prayer for rep. gifford and her family.

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
Giffords was a pro gun, pro secure border Blue Dog, she was one of the good ones. Regardless of politics, this is a tragic event that just brings out the best and worst in people. I've witnessed some serious political badgering already over this.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
The anti-gun cheerleaders are in full cry today in the editorial section of the Arizona Republic, a very liberal newspaper. This is inevitable, I suppose, following such a senseless act by a loonie. We gun owners need to stay calm and not blow off on a knee-jerk reaction to this.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
May have missed it but I noticed no mention whether the shooter was apprehended or any of those details. That's one clue too this individual the story is biased from word one. Very unfortunate these things happen but our society is full of individuals who are unable too deal with things in there lives.

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
I saw some ABC "News" coverage and they mentioned the "shooter used a Glock 19, the same gun that was used in the Virginia Tech shooting" and added that it "had a high capacity mag"
Will see how much effect the tragedy will have - like a 10 round limit like we have here in California. Fortunately, the "new" House leadership will not move anything but the executive branch is using administrative process to "change" things and wait and see what comes out of the BATF like the "emergency" rule for firearms sales on the boarder with Mexico.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The news coverage which are simply advertisements for the Brady Campaign kill me. The poor souls who were killed hadn't even cooled before the mis-information started. I wish I was from the county in Az, just so I could see that idiot Sheriff replaced next election.
The hardest lies to swallow -
This tragedy only happened due to Arizona's strong support of the 2nd amendment - California laws would have prevented or reduced the massacre.
1. Much noise was made over Arizona's instant check (no waiting period), but he bought the gun back in November.
2. Making it sound like California would not have allowed him a firearm -really? He is over 21, not a felon, never been committed, etc.
3. He used "high capacity magazines"; California only permits 10 rounders. Except he reloaded at least once. Maybe 10 round magazines would have made a difference.
4. Arizona has a no-permit CCW law. I don't think someone who is planning to assassinate a congresswoman, then empty his pistol into the crowd as many times as he can is really, really worried about being convicted of carrying a concealed weapon.

Saying the AWB would have prevented or reduced the impact of the shooting - absolutely no explaination of how that could be, except some "news" agencys reported that the G 19 was banned under the AWB.

I find the Brady campaign jumping on this so quickly to be in very poor taste!

Andy

·
Registered
62 Posts
New Jerseys Laughten anounced he was re-introducing the high cap ban by the end of the month. I don't think I spelled his name right but we all know who he is.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Loughner was crazy and gullible. He was 100 per cent crazy and what he did was horrible.
No offense intended, but I refuse to call anyone who commits atrocities "Crazy". I think all should be tried for their crimes and appropriately punished and not found innocent by reason of insanity, given some psychiatric treatment, and then released back into society on the word of some liberal psychologist who claims the perpetrator has been cured.

·
Banned
467 Posts
irv---no disrespect intended but certainly my post here in a gun forum has nothing to do with giving Loughner an Insanity Plea. Saying the guy is Barking Nuts or off his Crackin Rocker or saying he is Crazy is just stating the obvious. What has happened, what Loughner did is so horrific and so terrible he will never ever get off for this crime adn will not be "found innocent by reason of insanity". If we are honest we will acknowledge this. If we want to spread more anti gov or anti establishment fear and hate and distrust of same then we will say Loughner could get off or be found "innocent" (!). In my mind to assert such things would be dis-honest and only serves to stir up the hate-pot against the gov. Too much of this already and we all need to stop especially when so much of it is contrived.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
irv---no disrespect intended but certainly my post here in a gun forum has nothing to do with giving Loughner an Insanity Plea. Saying the guy is Barking Nuts or off his Crackin Rocker or saying he is Crazy is just stating the obvious. What has happened, what Loughner did is so horrific and so terrible he will never ever get off for this crime and will not be "found innocent by reason of insanity". If we are honest we will acknowledge this. If we want to spread more anti gov or anti establishment fear and hate and distrust of same then we will say Loughner could get off or be found "innocent" (!). In my mind to assert such things would be dis-honest and only serves to stir up the hate-pot against the gov. Too much of this already and we all need to stop especially when so much of it is contrived.
I understand what you are saying and also understand that Loughner has little chance of using an insanity plea because of the planning.

My statement was not aimed at you, but at what I see as a tendency among some friends who often say a criminal is crazy if the crime is particularly horrendous. The more horrendous, the more likely to be deemed mentally ill and the more likely to get away with psychological "treatment" rather than punishment. I also tire of reading about crimes committed by criminals who are released from mental treatment and have, in reality, not been cured.

This problem is not with our government, but with the lawyers, psychologists and bleeding heart liberals who pity criminals. I'm probably biased, but I don't think mental illness should be a defense for criminal activity, although it has been recognized as such in many societies throughout much of history.

·
Banned
968 Posts
> Giffords was a pro gun

I can't stand this lie that keeps getting repeated, just like all the other lies saying she was "moderate". I will only address this one, this being a gun forum.

2002 Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all state legislative candidates in 2002, the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund assigned Representative Giffords a grade of D (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).​

2004 Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all state legislative candidates in 2004, the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund assigned Representative Giffords a grade of F (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).​

2004 Representative Giffords supported the interests of the Arizona State Rifle and Pistol Association 0 percent in 2004.​

2008 In 2008 National Rifle Association gave Representative Giffords a grade of D+, in its scorecard for candidates seeking office in 2008.​

2010 In 2010 Gun Owners of America - Candidate Ratings gave Representative Giffords a grade of D.​

2010 In 2010 Gun Owners of America - April Ratings gave Representative Giffords a grade of 27.​

This is not directed at the original poster, since this "fact" was repeated many places and went unchallenged on Fox News too. So, I have to ask one simple question.

How pro gun do you have to be to earn those ratings?

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,761 Posts
Crazy yes, insane, probably not. I think they will have a hard time convincing a jury he didn't know right from wrong, thus not insane. It has been reported that Arizona is one of the few states that requires the person, after release from their mental institution treatment, to be returned to prison to complete their sentence.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
i don t care how well he can reason.. the boys unbalanced..
with what they watch on the tv and other media,its a wonder
more of this don t happen..
he is pitiful,but i do believe in capital punishment..to many lives affected by this..jmo slim 60

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.