Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local store has one of these in stock. I haven't held it yet and have never held or shot a 73'. My 1894P is a 44 magnum that I use for deer and I keep a 1-3x scope on it and was looking at purchasing another lever gun to keep handy and use the iron sights. My first deer rifle was a Rossi 1892 that was sold to fund the Marlin back in 2001. It was fast handling and I miss having it. They seem harder to find now locally and this 1873 happens to be right over the hill. I've read several debates on forums about the strength of the action etc. Actually I don't shoot maximum or full power loads in my Marlin anymore. Seems anything 240 grain and above at even mid-power has no trouble going through a deer even diagonally in my experience. This year I plan to switch from 2400 to Unique or Power Pistol for my handloads. I intend to shoot lighter 44 loads in the 73' if I even get it. So what should I look for if I check it out? I know the front sight is on the barrel band and I'm guessing it has a rear ladder sight like my Rossi did. Would it be zeroed for 44 Magnum from the factory or do they use the same barrel band sight for 357 and 44-40? I do have Uberti buckhorn type sight off my Baby Rolling Block that I'm guessing will tap right in if I need some vertical correction. Also, my Marlin slugs at something like .4315 or .432". What diameter bullet do the Uberti 44 rifles prefer and does anybody know the twist rate? Thanks for any advice or info.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I cannot vouch for the 1873 Uberti carbine as the two Uberti 1873 rifles I have are 24" barreled rifles. One is a 45 Colt and the other is a 44-40 and I like them both. I have never had a problem with either and both are very accurate out to 100 yards with the original barrel sights. The 1873 is a toggle link lever action and that is the reason it is only made in pistol calibers. I reload for both and keep my loads in the moderate range and have used both to hunt feral hogs and whitetailed deer. The actions are usually smooth especially if polished some and that is the reason many use them in cowboy action shooting. I find them easy to clean and work on. Sorry I cant provide you any specific information on the 44 magnum.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You mentioned how "fast handling" your Rossi was. Be advised the Model of 1873's action is longer and heavier than the Model of 1892 (a large part of why Browning designed it). You may not find the same happiness with the 73 you did with the lighter gun. I personally wouldn't consider the 44 Mag chambering for the toggle-link '73 action but Uberti is building and selling them so what do I know.

Dave

·
Registered
858 Posts
44 Magnum in a toggle link action, even with modern metallurgy, leaves me cold. I'd stick to the 44-40 in the 1873. My 44 Magnum is in a 1892 clone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts