Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Uberti 1873 Cattleman Cody .45. Love the gun but it is a little stiff. I have been reading everywhere that I should get a "action tune-up" (replace some springs, polish, etc. to really improve the gun). Anyone have any recomendations on a professional gunsmith that specializes in the Uberti SA's and does this type of work?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I did mine myself. I got a Wolff spring kit and then just polished the rough edges while it was apart, staying away from the sear/hammer engagement. Lots of people ask me who did the work when they feel them.
If you don't feel competent, Bob Munden is the only name I can think of at this hour of the morning. I know he has a waiting list.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
I also did my own action job. As sadsit states, "stay away from the sear/hammer engagement . . ." unless you are confident that you know what you're doing. You can safely knock off any rough edges by using 600 grit wet/dry paper backed up with some sort of straight edged tool placed behind the paper. You'll be surprised how much nicer the action feels once you've deburred the parts and applied a light coat of quality gun oil. While I have not used the Wolff spring kit, others have reported favorably on it. I prefer a heavier hammer pull myself so I have kept the original springs in my Colt clones.

IMO, the problem with getting an action job from a professional is the gunsmith will charge the same amount regardless of who manufactured the gun, so if you are going to have this done, make sure that in your own mind, you feel the gun is worth the additional cost. If you were contemplating having this done to a Colt, I would not even bring this subject up. Colt parts are made of better steels than many of the clones so an action job will last far longer in a Colt.

I'm NOT a gunsmith so please feel free to disagree with anything that I've posted. This is just my opinion and others are certainly entitled to theirs.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I put Wolff springs in all my SAA clones. Last I bought them they were twenty some dollars for the set - but that was a few years ago. Just the new springs, without any other modifications makes a big difference. I think I would start there and see how you like it. If it's still not to your liking then think about doing some polishing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts