Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Modifing trigger guard

I bought me a pair of Uberti cattlemans, and I just got in some bisley style triggers. They are factory drop-ins but the trigger guards need to be trimmed where the trigger comes through. The opening just isn't wide enough for the wider bisley triggers. What would be the best way to open it up?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I've never done that exact job, but I have done the same job on other guns. Whether it is the best method or not I don't know. But I have a set of needle files, and they can open a frame slot fairly quickly and very neatly, if you use care.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Have never done this either. If I were to, would start by installing the Bisley trigger into the frame without the trigger guard/front strap. Cycle the action for functionality. Then, position the trigger guard/front strap as close to the frame as possible and eyeball everything just to see if the part will fit and where to file. Check everything twice for fit before removing metal. The original Bisley had a different trigger guard/front strap and rear gripstrap than the stock single action so your project may require more than just opening up the trigger slot.

I once altered a stock single action trigger because I didn't like its' angle in the trigger guard. I bent the trigger and then had to file off some of the tip for it to fit and this was only using the original parts. Your project goes a lot farther than mine.

Best wishes and let us know how you did it!:)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
Just had to file a mauser trigger guard this morning in a similar mission. All it took was work!

Good luck......

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've test fitted the trigger and it fits just fine except for the hole in the frame is just too small. I'll get me a set of needle files. That's how I was planning on doing it, just wanted to see if there was a better way. Other than the trigger being wider it looks like it will work just fine. As soon as I get it done I'll let y'all know how it went.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts