Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got me a Uberti Cattleman in .357mag but it didn't come with a manual. This is my first revolver and I don't want to take a chance at messing it up. Does anyone have a copy of a manual or know where I can find one? I've been looking on their website but I'm not finding anything.
Also if anyone knows how to slick one up I'm open for suggestions.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I found one after I posted this.
Well, I have a gunsmith friend who is willing to show me what to do and make sure I don't mess it up. I'm just wanting to have some idea of what kinds of things I can do before I take it to him. This isn't my first pistol and I've worked on many other guns, just not revolvers. I've shot a Ruger vaquero with the Bisley hammer and I was wanting to put a Bisley hammer on it. I like the trigger pull but the hammer is a bit much for my tastes, I'd like to find a new set of springs. But as far as any shaping of the metal I'd leave it to my gunsmith. That's all I'm planning for right now. I don't think I'll need to shape anything maybe just polish. Though, I've been told that I need to do an action tune-up before I even shoot it.
By the way I'm going to be using it for CAS almost exclusively maybe a little hunting. I've been borrowing pistols and I finally got my own.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
>Though, I've been told that I need to do an action tune-up before I even shoot it.

Don't believe everything you're told. Go out and shoot the thing. Once you are familiar with your revolver, you can decide for yourself whether it needs anything. I've seen 'way too many perfectly good guns messed up before anyone had a chance to enjoy them. And be aware, not every "gunsmith" who claims to do "action jobs" knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
. . . Though, I've been told that I need to do an action tune-up before I even shoot it. . .
This is not a rule carved in stone/cast in concrete. You are the best judge on whether your Cattleman needs an action job. Shoot your new gun for a while before considering any alterations, you might find you like it as it is. The Uberti Cattleman is a very nice gun and popular with CAS folks.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Just remember that like all Colt Clones, keep the high pressure rounds out of the gun if you want to keep it in one piece,

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I'll test it out before I do anything to it. Though I'll put the Bisley hammer on it.
Is the cattleman strong enough to hunt with?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Ok, I'll test it out before I do anything to it. Though I'll put the Bisley hammer on it.
As long as you only load "Colt rated" ammo in it, and keep the ranges under 50 yds, you should be ok. A 250 grain HP at 900fps will do serious harm to any deer you point it at. Stay away from Ruger loads and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
788 Posts
So what is 'Colt rated ammunition?'
He said that he had a .357 Magnum. Therefore, any factory loaded .357 ammunition, or equivalent, should be fine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've looked and I haven't seen any .357 ammo that wasn't ok for colts. Unless I'm looking in the wrong places. But its good to know that the 250gr will take down a deer. I'm pretty sure I can get within 50yrds of a deer. I'm guessing that it would also take down a hog.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts

Are you going to beat deer to death with it??:) Some will say the .357 is not "enough gun" for deer -- others, me included, think it is, used properly. Personally, my Uberti Cattleman Flat Top Target in .45 Colt with what are essentially original factory-level loads (255 gr. SWC @ almost 900 fps) does the job great out to 50 yards although I, knowing MY limitations, usually stick to shorter ranges.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HEY, that's a good idea save me some ammo:D. I probably won't use it for deer unless an opportunity was there, however I might use it for smaller game. But like I said It's going to be mostly CAS. What kind of accuracy can I expect out of the box? It's going to be a while till I can make it to the range.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
my bad. I forgot you had a 357. I would stay away from anything that is +P and would think for general use you would be better off shooting more 38 Special ammo than 357 ammo. If you reload, a 158 HP or SWC at 1000 fps would seem safe and not beat up your gun. If you don't reload, check out Buffalo Bore ammo.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=108

That ammo would work if you think like a bowhunter can keep the ranges under 50 yds. Pistols kill by making big holes in soft tissue, not by hitting with large amounts of KE.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
>I would stay away from anything that is +P and would think for general use you would be better off shooting more 38 Special ammo than 357 ammo.

I've no knowledge of any .357 Mgnum +P ammo -- I suppose you could cook up something like that if you were a handloader, but I wouldn't want to stand near anyone shooting it. The Uberti is plenty strong for a full diet of .357 Mag. ammo, and .38s of any stripe, be it regular, +P, or +P+, is nothing to this gun. A really accurate .38 load would be a GREAT small game round for it. The only problem that might be encountered with .357 is that some heavy-bullet loads (180 or 200 gr. bullets) might be too long for the cylinder.

Bowhunting is a good analogy for the type of handgun hunting I do. I know for a fact that handgun loads will do the job at longer ranges, and I'll shoot targets at 100 yards or so from time to time, just in case of some odd circumstance requiring such; but I'd really prefer a scoped handgun for shooting that far at game, and I hate what a scope does to the handinesss and convenience of a handgun. Plenty of thick cover in my area that is ideal for the sort of handgun hunting I like.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I bought some Fiocchi .357 mag. I'll try it and see how it does.
Have any of you tried the Ultramax cowboy loads? It's going to be a while before I get the stuff I need to reload, and was wondering if its good to use.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
IIRC, Fiocchi loads are a bit hotter than the domestic loads but they should be no problem in your Cattleman. Since the .357 mag is much smaller in diameter than say, a .45 Colt, there is plenty of steel left in the cylinder chambers as well as the barrel to handle this load. Should you ever get the chance to examine a Cattleman in .45 Colt, note the amount of steel in the cylinder between the chambers. Pretty thin. This is why Colt clones in .45 Colt cannot handle the same pressures used in Rugers.

IME, anything listed as "cowboy loads" are purposely loaded down for less recoil and fast followup shots. They are probably not be as "hot" as Fiocchi ammunition.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've seen the .45 Colt and was weary of how thin the steel was. That was one of the main reasons I chose the .357 over the .45.
I know that the Cowboy Loads won't be anywhere near as powerful. I was just wondering if they where consistent and accurate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts