Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a Uberti .45 Long Colt with a 4-3/4" bbl. Any toughts on the quality? It is the engraved model and the asking price is $627.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have been shooting a nickeled standard Uberti Cattleman in that configuration for 20 years with no problems. Elmer Keith was fond of engraving because it kept knocks, dings and scratches from showing. If you like it and can afford it, go for it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
I'll move it to the cowboy guns for you.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
My 4 3/4" Uberti .45 is the Flat Top Target model. Aside from a beautiful Colt Python that divorce forced me to sell years ago it is the finest revolver I have ever encountered. The action is buttery-smooth, the trigger perfect, fit and finish superb, and the accuracy is eye-popping with my favorite load. It is so good that I am sure I got extremely lucky when I picked it up, and I doubt a run-of-the-mill example would be as good, but the quality of mine tells me that the basic quality of these guns has to be good.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
For most of us, the Uberti made single action is an excellent gun and best of all, affordable. If you are a top SAS competitor, you may want to check out Ruger, American Western Arms, USFA, or Colt only because they are more durable under heavy useage.

To purchase the engraved model is purely a matter of personal choice. They are very beautiful indeed but understand that engraving has no bearing on function or accuracy and adds to the cost. My own preference leans towards color casehardened and blue but YMMV.

·
Registered
57 Posts
..........but understand that engraving has no bearing on function or accuracy.........
OTOH, I would think Uberti would be really, really sure to hand select a certain winner before going to the trouble and expense of engraving it. I'm sure a blued and case hardened sixgun is easier to eat than a fully engraved one.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
OTOH, I would think Uberti would be really, really sure to hand select a certain winner before going to the trouble and expense of engraving it. I'm sure a blued and case hardened sixgun is easier to eat than a fully engraved one.

On the OTHER other hand, I believe they are photo-engraved, so it's not like some artisan sat there for a month carving steel to produce one...

·
Banned
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
On the OTHER other hand, I believe they are photo-engraved, so it's not like some artisan sat there for a month carving steel to produce one...
I believe Uberti would hand select the one's for the photo engraving. And yes, I know engraving does nothing to make it shoot better. I like it because it's pretty to look at. I will only be shooting cowboy loads for HD. Before anyone tells me the bullet energy is low, I already know that too. I own a Ruger .44 stainless with a 7-1/2" bbl. and have shot the most magnum load to be had. Another problem with magnum loads is barrel flip and reaquiring the target. I also do not want bullets flying through walls and a 250 gr. bullet WILL kill at 700 fps at 10 feet.

Mostly, the Uberti will just be a fun toy, will be loaded with BP and sometimes blanks to scare the birds off, and I will not be shooting competition.

If I want to hunt with a pistol, I'll use my Ruger.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
We may be drifting a bit from the original question of whether the Uberti is a quality revolver. IMO I think it is. The rest of MY post is only personal opinion and all are certainly entitled to theirs. It surely was not my intent to cast dispersions on anyone's choice of firearm.:D

·
Banned
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
We may be drifting a bit from the original question of whether the Uberti is a quality revolver. IMO I think it is. The rest of MY post is only personal opinion and all are certainly entitled to theirs. It surely was not my intent to cast dispersions on anyone's choice of firearm.:D
It seems like a pretty nice gun to me and the engraving, even though it is laser or what ever, sure is purdy! I am two inches away form buying it, and two miles away from affording it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts