Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Englander - Please fill us in on big game opportunities on your side of the pond. It's got to be interesting. I am also interested in the regulations regarding the possession and use of hunting rifles by subjects and by non-subjects. Thanks alot, and I apologize if you have already done such a topic and I missed it. I bet your triple 4 is going to fly over my house any day now, if it hasn't already. All european flights from East Coast do so! ..  Best Regards

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hello Mainer

Big game ? Well we lost Bear,wild boar, and wolf a few hundred years ago. Our biggest preditor is the Red fox can be shot all year no limits( classed as vermin) We have Badgers but they are completely protected by stiff laws.

When i say we do not have wild boar any more its not strictly true, there are "escaped" farmed boar in southern England which seem to be increasing in number, but at present they are not available to many- so i do not count them.

We do how ever have some excellant Deer species of which only two are native Red" and "Roe". Red are very similar to your Elk but smaller 15 stone perhaps 20 + in a wood land in habitat.

Roe are the most beautiful Deer in the world there antlers are like no other, and while only say 50 lb often less they are truly special almost magical !

Fallow you may have ? Are Asian and introduced to Britains victorian deer parks and slowly spread and were also released. Large "palmetted" antlers often spotted coat, meduim sized slightly smaller than Red.

Sika deer are again asian in origin they are similar to Red deer and are known to cross breed, which is causing concern, Sika have a reputation for being extremely hard to stalk and out witting many a stalker, a very challenging deer indeed.

Muntjac are tiny chaps smaller than my black lab, there back side is higher than there head they have tiny antlers but very interesting and prolific.

Chinese water deer ive never seen and are only found in a few parts of England again they are small although slightly bigger than muntjac.

Check out www.deer-uk.com and click on (British Deer) There are some lovely photos of British deer.

All our Deer can be hunted (stalked) all have a close season but something is "in" season every day, there are NO limits on the number you can shot although normally COST limits the number as most deer stalking is let by agents or estates etc.
Some people are lucky enough to "manage" the deer for a friendly farmer.

Min calibre .243 100 grain bullet 1700 ft/lbs

How ever in Scotland .222 /.223 /.22-250 can be used on Roe only with 50grain bullet.

As for laws regarding bringing a gun in to Britain for a hunting holiday ? It can be done, best guys to talk to is "BASC" our main shooting organisation they give excellant advice on law etc. you should find the web page ok.

For me to own my .22 semi-auto, .308 , .444 i must have a clean record, steel gun safe, prove i have land to hunt on, supply four photos, two referees who must sign the photos and fill in a full page form about my charecter etc. My fire arms certificate is valid for 5 years at a time than i must re-apply.
Soft point ammo is normally restricted to only 250 rounds Maximum allowed to keep , although 500/1000 for .22.

Semi-auto and pump action centre fire rifles are banned, you can have bolt,lever, straight pull.
I hope that helps some, any other questions just ask ?

Regards Englander

·
Banned
554 Posts
Weight conversion: 1 "stone" = 14 pounds.  So the red deer are elk the size of whitetails.  Neat.

I also looked up the definition of Bureaucracy: "the expenditure of time, money and effort used to produce solid waste."

Regards,

Charlie

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot Englander, very informative. What do the [private citizens do if they have to protect themselves?I appreciate the time you took to tell us all about your country. I am a one finger typer, and that would have taken me all day.  See Ya

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Englander,
          After reading your thread I can see where our gun laws here in N.Z were modelled from. A lot of similarities in regards to obtaining a gun licence.  

Just wondering if you have hunted the Sika Deer?
I've been hunting Sika for many years now. Just love it, yes they are a very cunning deer to hunt, but boy can they be fun.  They're roaring at the moment and I'm off tomorrow for a 4 day hunt. Your right about the cross breeding, we've shot a few hybrid Sika (Sika/Red)over the years.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hello Mainer  

If you mean, "home defence" ie a nasty bady breaks in to your home etc - Well we just get murdered ! all to often !

A case in Norfolk in England were a farmer shot a 16 year old burgler in the back killing him , his older accomplice simply ran off, wounded in the leg. The farmer did not have a licence for the gun. But he had been burgled over and over the police were to far away and often did not come. The 16 year old burgler had some thing like 50 convictions and was in the farmers house at 3am along with his accomplice both had travel about 60 miles to rob the farm.

The farmer is now in prison ! The public are generally behind the farmer. IF the shot had hit him in the front, the farmer would have perhaps just esacped a prison sentence.

To my mind an alternative headline could easly have been  "Farmer murdered in isolated farm house"

He could very easly be dead now rather than in prison- in his place ? Well do'nt fancy being murdered much !

Best of all the older burgler got compensation for being wounded in the leg !

There is very much a feeling at present amongest the general public that are laws give the criminals more rights than thay deserve, i tend to agree.

Quiet 1  

Sadly i have'nt shot Sika yet, but i know a place in the borders that has plenty once my .444 is up and running i plan to try it on Sika.
I was in Ross-shire near the isle of Sky were my mate worked as a full time deer stalker we saw some lovely Sika but they were out of season !

I do not believe yo  have Roe in NZ ? Pitty they are so special.
Out of interest what is the most common calibre over there in NZ ? Over here probably .243
Are you north island or south ? A New Zealander i knew in the Gulf, father had a farm on the south island i believe, i will have to contact him and and find out about work etc, i fancy a change right now.

Regards Englander

1 - 6 of 6 Posts