Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland

Im "STILL" waiting for my .444p to arrive, so i can not comment yet on its performance on the range or in the field.

Obviously my "American cousins" have vast amounts of experience with this calibre and of course its use in hunting game.

Hunting game is my primary objective for this calibre in the lever rifle.

So my question to all you experienced .444 hunters is what would be your ultimate .444 hunting rifle ?

How long would the barrel be ?     And why ? 18.5"/20"/22"/24"/26"/28" !

How many rounds would the magazine take ? And why ?

What kind of grip ? straight ? curved ? And why ?

Or is the .444p the "PERFACT" .444 ?

Your answers would be of great interest to me and kill some time till my .444p arrives ! Only joking i would be interested to know the reasons for your choices, could tell alot.

best regards Englander

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I would like a Winchester '94 in the Timber Carbine spec with a 24" barrel. Maybe a slightly heavier contour.
You have to use the Winchester pistol grip on quick shots to appreciate it.
I like to controlled round feed of the Winchester, lean it left, right or upside down they feed most any bullet shape.
For a hunting rifle they are light enough.
Four rounds is about all I can contemplate needing at any time.
I want a Redfield gold insert Sourdough front sight. A Lyman reciever sight, mounted on the side of the reciever so the push button lets me pull the slide.. The Marbles fold down open sight with flat top and windage adjustment
For a scope the Weaver V-4 or any of the 1.5 X 5x scopes will do, as long as they have at least a 5 minute dot. On the V-4 the dot is Eight min at 1.5 and 5 min at 4.5x, I like that.
It must have sling swivels and a thin little rubber pad is fine.

I am not anti-Marlin and own several. For a hunting gun in fast cover I tend to prefer the Winchester. I prefer half magazines and pistol grips. I am of average or a little less stature so a short length of pull suits me.

No need for ports or barrel bands. This is the area where Winchester missed the boat, and allowed Marlin to steal the enitre show.

Unlike some of the others on this forum I have not had trouble with my Winchesters. I have had a Marlin .32-20 loose the button on the carrier, I need to send it in for repair.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would love to see a M-94 Big Bore with a 22 inch barrel, straight grip and lever and half magazine, and NO BARREL PORTS!

Too bad USRAC doesn't seem to place much confidence in the Big Bore action.  I'm sure the .444's will dry up just like the .307's,.356's, and .375's have.

·
Banned
554 Posts
The .444, to me, are comparable in form and fuction to the lighter old british express rounds.  (It seems Marlins are being used in Africa for mid-sized game.)  

My choice:  Beretta Silver Sable.  A strong and simple little express rifle.  It can be broken down for carry.  Double guns seem well matched for this round in terms of accuracy and typical use (<=200yds).

Barring that, a Ruger No.1.  Simple, strong, handy.  Wish they made it in .444.  (Although easliy loaded to duplicate, I don't see the 45/70 as an "express" cartridge; probably because the darn thing was around at the time of those true express rounds.)

The marlins are probably as accurate as the above and certainly strong enough.  Plus you have a repeater.  A heck of a value, comparatively.

Regards,

Charlie

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 444 Outfitter is close to perfect for me. Might go with a 20" barrel. Mine has a fast barrel so i'll leave well enough alone. It takes care of all my hunting(big game) needs. Hope yours arrives soon.
                                       Walt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts