Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a devil of a time trying to find again websites and/or videos describing ultra long range scope attachments. I think I remember one being called a "periscope, and another one that gave a huge extra amount of MOA adjustment ability...like 70 extra MOA. What are the two products I am trying to find? Thx

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
I think you're talking about wedge shaped mounts that give extra adjustment to the scope. You can buy them in Various 'strengths' for many actions. They're fine if ALL you shoot is a thousand yards plus. A PITA otherwise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your timely reply, JB. I am actually talking about something for really, really long range shooting. I am aware of the 30 MOA type rails. I posted this same thread at four sites, and a responder gave me what I was talking about. Take a look at TACOMHQ.com.....charlie Tarac accessories. I, living in Los Angeles, am in the enviable geographic position, of "High Desert" shooting as far as a Cheytac type caliber rifle can reach. We have set up a one mile course, but can go to two miles if we can only get the proper equipment. The Charlie Tarac periscope attachment will fill the bill. Take a look at the site. It is fascinating! Thanks again for your response. It is very appreciated! :)

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
I can shoot out to 3500 yards from my front yard. I don't envy ANYBODY within a hundred miles of LA!!

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL.....Holy Moly! Where, without giving TOO much, is your house? I'm fascinated....and VERY envious. I am looking for a small house next to BLM land in the desert, but no joy so far. :) Or you can reply privately at [email protected] There is a dot between my first and last name.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
I live in S. Idaho and very lucky to live on a ranch, within a ranch surrounded by BLM and other ranches. I have targets out to 3500 but fire danger and difficulty of going to look at them prevent me using them much. I shoot mostly 100 through 400 yards on steel targets.

I hear people all the time looking for a place to shoot. There are four public shooting areas between me and and town just seven miles away. One has a 6x6 foot steel target that can be shot from up to 1600 yards, but most shoot a thousand or less.
I'm under a Red Flag fire warning this week and don't shoot anything but rimfires and shotguns during these times of wind, dry air and lots of fuel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go ahead....rub it in, JB! lolol....I am SO jealous. But happy you have what you have. Having to tear down our steel targets every time we shoot because of meth tweekers scrounging for scrap metal or BLM agents reasonably taking down any wood, instead of having your 6X6 permanent steel target, we have to set up a 6X6 cardboard target each new distance, and position a human Spotter out there to radio back each shot. We have LR router cameras too, once we are zero-ed in enough to set up our 36X36 steel plates. Happy shooting when the dry season ends. :)

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
The simple logistics of shooting 1000 is a PITA. On military-style ranges, workers had to be in the pits to pull and score targets. A shooter could shoot his 20 round match in half hour and know how he did when he leaves the line. When setting up your own targets in remote areas, it can be a half days work just getting ready....and then the wind starts to blow. :(

I was shooting at 200 last week and watched a one ton range bull trudge up to the 300 yard target frame and calmly bend over the tee post and knock down the plate while scraping the ticks off his hide. I'd rather fight him for targets than strung out dopers, though.

Reactions: six speed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOLOL! I guess there just ain't anything that can be called a "Poifect Woild". Thanks for the story. It cracked me up. :)

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Thanks for your timely reply, JB. I am actually talking about something for really, really long range shooting. I am aware of the 30 MOA type rails. I posted this same thread at four sites, and a responder gave me what I was talking about. Take a look at TACOMHQ.com.....charlie Tarac accessories. I, living in Los Angeles, am in the enviable geographic position, of "High Desert" shooting as far as a Cheytac type caliber rifle can reach. We have set up a one mile course, but can go to two miles if we can only get the proper equipment. The Charlie Tarac periscope attachment will fill the bill. Take a look at the site. It is fascinating! Thanks again for your response. It is very appreciated! :)
You shooting up at Desert Marksman? My old stomping grounds for years. We used to do 1000 yards up there with 30 cal sling prone, it's all big bore now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts