Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys..

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I have been fortunate to acquire two unfired Model 70's in their original box.

One is a 22-250 with a bull barrell made in 1971.
The other is a 243 made in 1972.

Does the fact that they are unfired increase the value? If so, anyone have any thoughts on how much more the value of an unfired model would be over one that has been used?

Thanks

Charlie

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Welcome charlie. 'Unfired' for 'collectible' firearms definately increases value, by quite a lot (a pre-'64 Win mod 70 as an example). Rarity is a factor as well. Your bull-barrel 22-250 might be somewhat rare, although neither rifle is very collectible. Some of those post-'64 mod 70 push-feeds are fine rifles. If I were to guess, you might be able to get 25%-50% more for your unfired rifles compared to good-condition used rifles of the same chambering.

·
Super Moderator
3,830 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

I agree with Shawn Crea. The value of used firearms depends on what they are and the condition. So the right person might pay more because the rifles are in the box. If they were Pre-'64 Model 70s they would be worth a lot more. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input...

I would not pay more for the rifles because they were unfired, but wasn't sure how other people felt.

I really want to take the 22-250 to the range, but didn't want to destroy it's value. Sounds like it is okay to shoot it and only suffer a minor decrease in value (or perhaps none at all).

I think I'll leave the 243 unfired for the time being.

Thanks again. I found this forum by accident - it looks like a good one, I'll become a regular participant.

Charlie

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the input...

I would not pay more for the rifles because they were unfired, but wasn't sure how other people felt.

I really want to take the 22-250 to the range, but didn't want to destroy it's value. Sounds like it is okay to shoot it and only suffer a minor decrease in value (or perhaps none at all).

I think I'll leave the 243 unfired for the time being.

Thanks again. I found this forum by accident - it looks like a good one, I'll become a regular participant.

Charlie
i'll echo what the others have said and that unfired doesn't necessarily equate increased value unless the firearm in question is rare or collectible. there are probably hundreds, maybe thousands of rifles out there that are bought or received as gifts and remain unfired. I bought an unfired Browning A-Bolt that was made in 1990 and only paid $425 for it. as you can see, I saved quite a bit of money on my purchase as i'm sure current model A-Bolt's probably sell for twice what I paid. also, your M70's are post-64 which I believe use the push feed extractor, whereas, the pre-64 and current FN model M70's use the more highly coveted control round feed extractor and thus cost more. either way, if you were to sell yours you're bound to get a decent offer imo

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
If unfired post-'64 Model 70s were at all read, there might be a sizeable premium for one as-new, in box; as is, any premium is no more than it would be for any used rifle that was in better condition than the next one. Good rifles, just very plentiful.

I recently acquired a Ted Williams (Sears) Model 53 .30-06, which is nothing but a post-'64 Model 70. I believe this rifle was unfired, and it came with all original packaging. It was a rather complex trade, but I got it for the equivalent of $275, and I doubt I'd get more than $350 for it in a cash sale. Fine by me, as it is a great shooter!

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you were to push a clean patch through the barrel, do not be surprised when it comes out the other end black. All guns are test fired at the manufacturing facility before being shipped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts