Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a RCBS Uniflow powder measure for about two years with no problems encounterd. My last batch of .243 Win, which I hand weight every charge I noted a large variance in the ammount of powder being dropped. I was using a Pacific powder scale to weigh these charges , some which didn't even make the scale arm move ?? The powder I was using was H 4831 SC, has anyone else had this problem? Is there something going on with my powder throw?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
How much variance were you getting in actual grains?

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
Can't tell whether you've got a measure problem or a scale problem? That scale is old enough that you should check the knife edges for condition and cleanliness, and if it has a magnetic damper, check for iron filings that are rubbing the conductive plate that slides between the poles. If you don't have check weights, you might want to get a set and double-check that.

If it's the measure, pull the drum and check than no insect has nested in the metering chamber. Make sure to wipe the hopper with a used dryer sheet to get some anti-stat smeared around. You can get a cheap anti-static wrist strap from Radio Shack (you may need to have them get it in) and wrap its wrist portion around the support plate on the measure, then clip it to ground. That grounds you through a resistance high enough to prevent spark discharges.

You can also improve measure consistency with additional baffles. There is a template of them with instructions you can download free from my file repository.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The scale is really not that old, it's a Hornady but still has the Pacific marking on it, probably only 6-7 years old. As far as the variance in grains I really don'y know that, I just trickled in some extra until the sale leveld out. I've fired about 25 of these round and all seemed very consistent and accurate. I belive that I'm currently about 1 grain shy from listed max load, but I'm using the 100 grain charge weight table and shooting a 95 grain bullet, so it's a safe guess-timate. As cheap as the electronic scales are becoming, I probably just invest on one of those and re-verify thrown weights and go from there. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had the same problem with the same measure but different powder. I posted and was told to look for a bug in the tube. I found a spider web full of powder in the tube. I suggest you first disasemble the measure to check for obstructions. Other than the varance in weight I noticed powder falling out of the measure all over the bench under the measure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts