Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was not 100% sure were to post this so I chose here...

I am wanting to know for tow bullets, a 300 FP and a 405 FP, both lead at a BHN of 17, how much Unique to reach 30,000psi apx. Of course staying on the safe side of it. I have seen some Unique loads listed but have no idea of the pressure range for them. I have seen from 4g to 14g with the 300g bullet.

I have several pounds of this and would like to experiment with it with out getting myself in trouble here.

.. pick ..

·
Banned
169 Posts
I have been shooting 12.0 gr of Unique behind a 300 gr Comercial cast and moly coated (moly only because I got a REALLY good deal) Out of my 1895G for a couple of years. I do not know the pressure but the load is listed in Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook and is very mild to shoot. Sean

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've used 13 to 14 grs of Unique behind either a 255 grain cast 45 Colt bullet or a 300 gr cast bullet.
{Forgot to add that I put a wad of Kleanex 1.5 by 1.5 in tamped down to hold the powder back against the primer. Not sure if this is the safest proceedure to follow. The worst think I had happen is I've gotten a few still burning flakes of paper drifting in the breeze after the shot.}
I had a Lyman 45 Colt mold that threw beautiful SWCs that were .459. These bullets wouldn't shoot worth a hoot in my old Ruger but were great fun in the 45-70. They had the recoil, noise, etc. of a 22 rim fire, but would punch thru a 6 to 8 inch sapling at 50 yards like it was not there.
My girl friend, then wife and now ex wife thought this load was the neatest thing since sliced bread. She could show off to the guys shooting this big caliber and hit Coke cans, most every time.
The 300 gr cast bullet was designed and made by Lyman to be a gallery and practice bullet. It looks just like the 405 when loaded in the case. I use this bullet in the 45 Colt occasionally. In either, it's got a whopping lot of penetraition, little recoil in the rifle and noticable recoil in the revolver.
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts