Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some favorite loads in 38 Special and 357 Magnum with cast bullets and Universal Clays?

Also, how high can you work up in 357 Mag w/ Universal and 160gr bullets?  Looking at various data, I am guesing that 1200 fps is possible with around 7.0 grains.  I am just now beginning at the bottom and wonder how wide the useful range of Universal is in 357.

I have previously worked up to 10.0 grains of Universal under the RCBS 45-255-SWC in 45 Colt and it is outstanding!  Will Universal do as well with 160 gr. bullets in 38 Special and 357 Mag?  I sure hope so!

God Bless,
Mark in GA

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Alan.  It ran 1060 fps from my 5.5" Bisley-Vaquero and 1305 in my 24" Rossi 1892.  My RCBS 45-255-SWC bullets weigh 267 gr. cast of straight WW alloy.  That makes them a little heavier than the original Keith design.

It was extremely clean burning and very accurate.  This is about the best load I have found so far in my guns.  I estimate that it is somewhere around 22,000 CUP, so I see it as a Ruger Only type load.

God Bless,
Mark in GA

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it is larger than I would like.  That being said though, I went back and measured it with the hammer cocked instead of down like I did it the first time.  With the hammer cocked it varies between .007 and .008 depending on which chamber is lined up with the bore.

Also, when using faster burning powders, I don't seem to be getting nearly the velocity discrepancy I am getting with those like 2400 and AA #9.  Especially 2400!

God Bless,
Mark in GA

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Mark,

I've used a lot of Universal Clays in the .357 since the powder became available. Below are loads that have given excellent accuracy in several handguns.

Sierra 140-grain JHP with 8.0 grains
Remington 158-grain JHP with 7.5 grains
158-grain LSWC with 6.5 grains

All used standard Winchester primers and Federal or Remington nickel plated cases.

Please use extreme caution as these loads are at or near maximum for the propellant/bullet combinations listed. The author assumes no responsibility for damage or injury caused by those who use the information provided above.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Mark,

You mention the 160g bullet.  I've just about totally switched to AA #5 in my .38 Spcl. loads.   My daughters shoot volumes of .38 special in a pair of Rossi 92's.  The load below shoots ragged holes at 50 yards in the rifles and the same at 25 yards with a pair of Ruger Blackhawks.

.358"-160g FNBB/6.2g AA #5/WSPP/Mixed Brass

This generates 1050 fps in the Blackhawks and 1240 fps in the Rossi 92's.  

Superb consistent performance and accuracy!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 7 of 7 Posts