Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a plastic bag of factory pistol shells that I had assumed were for a .32 ACP. Most of them were but about 30 cartridges looked almost like 9mm or .380 or ???. I gave the .32 to a friend who also has a .38 Super and a 380. He didn't recognise them and said they were not .38 super nor.380. They have a deep extractor groove with low slope suggesting for a semi-auto.
The head stamp of .38 Spcl seems strange, as I have and reload for the .38 Special (the old police round:confused::confused:) and use in my .357s. But those are RIMMED cartridges and these are not.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
If they're .900 long, they're 38 Supers made from 38 Spec. During the 38 Super shortage of the '80s I made hundreds of cases, but cut a thin line through the headstamps.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have to turn off the rim????

No, this cartridge has a case length of .75 inches. And if I set my calipers across the loaded factory jacketed .357 bullet, it also just fits this bullet right at case top. So maybe with some sort of clips it could be used in a .38 Spcl. ?? Jack in Oregon

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
I can't imagine why, but Kosh75287 has the best answer for this. Perhaps a shortage local to the maker? Or just an exercise to see if he could do it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts