Shooters Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a previous post, we had a good discussion on flash holes and did their size matter. We also had an excellent link to where actual testing proved what I had felt was fact..Smaller flash holes do reduce shot to shot variation! We dicussed drill bit sizes to be used as "Go" and "No Go" gauges for flash hole size.
Now....In the March issue of Guns and Ammo Handguns, we find an article on lead free primers. The writer does a pretty good job explaining when and why the change to Lead Styphanate primers(non corrsive) from Potassium Chlorate primers( corrsive) can about. Then he goes on to discuss why we need lead free primers in indoor gun ranges...OK so far! Then he points out that the lead free primers have more "brisance" ( hotter) and the flash holes have been enlarged...What? Then he says we must not use these primers in cases with regular flash holes cause we will get flatten primers! He does say that regular primers can be used in cases with enlarged flash holes for lead free primers.....what about variations shot to shot and max loads?
Ok...What does all this mean? It appears that CCI might be loading these primers in their alum non-reloadable cases, but I don't know what Winchester is doing. I would advise, if these empty cases start showing up, not to load them with Ball powder that can get down into the primer! And above all, keep them separate. He doesn't say and I don't know what the size of these enlarged flash holes are...so get out those drill bits and check! We'll have to see if problems surface.
Best Regards, James

1 - 1 of 1 Posts