Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about changing the rear sight to a Bowen or a Millet. Going to use it for plinking and deer hunting, what do you think?  Merry Chirstmas to All !

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Excellent choices both.  I'd say the biggest factor in choosing which one is cosmetic.  Both will serve you quite well and will last longer than your eye's ability to use them.  If you can, take a look at both sites and decide by which one looks best to you.  If you can afford it, buy both, check them out, then return the one you choose not to use.  Don't intall either or you may not be able to return them.  Brownells has an excellent return policy so all you will be out is shipping the part back and a little time.  Idealy you would be able to find someone locally who would have both for you to check out, but if like me, that "ain't" gonna happen.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hippie44 -
Big Bore's advice sounds good. I have never seen the Millet sight, but I can testify about the Bowen sight.

I have always bought excellent binoculars and rifle scopes, but never gave much thought to handgun sights.  The &#3665 Bowen sight I bought for my SBH was AMAZINGLY better than the standard Ruger sights. And only a fraction of the price of a good rifle scope! What a deal!  Not only is the sight picture much sharper, when I installed them I then realized how much reflective glare I was getting off the rounded mounting surface that holds the sight blade on the standard Ruger sights. I get on target much faster with these sights.

NOTE: the installation instructions that come with the Bowen sight are good, but they suggest having a gunsmith to install them. I am no gunsmith, but not having a gunsmith nearby I did it myself, took my time, did not use the 'big hammer' approach, and they fit just fine. Mine fit very snug. I think I had to do the tiniest touch of filing with a new fine file in the milled slot for the sights to drop in, and I needed to buy a very small punch tool (like 1/16") to drive out the pin that holds the sight in place.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Big Bore and Greenhorn; I notice than the Millet site you can get it with white out line from Brownells, any thoughts. Also I couldn't find the Bowen site in Brownells, is that a factory item from Bowen? Thanks and Merry Chirstmas

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hippie44,
I have both. The Bowen is a "factory" available item (check www.bowenclassicarma.com-may be off by a charactor or two). It is the Caddy of rear sites. Very adjustable, strong, and glare resistant. It is on my 500 Linebaugh. I like the millet about 1 percent less. It also is a great sight. I do not have the white outline because I personnally prefer the target style. If you can't afford the Bowen, you will be happy with the Millet. They are both great sights.
Mark  

1 - 5 of 5 Posts