Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried shipping a rifle in the manufacturer's box via UPS to a gunsmith.  I called central processing and asked about requirements.  None so long as I was shipping to a gunsmith, not for sale.  I asked specifically if I needed proof of the 'smith's FFL.  Nope.  Manufacturer's box is fine, too.

I drive 50+ miles into Anchorage and am refused shipping.  Not only do they require the FFL number but a copy of the license to see if it is still current.  So now I have to get the 'smith to fax his FFL to UPS and make another 100+ mile roundtrip to Anchorage.  Oh yeah, they didn't like the Winchester box, it needs to be corrugated cardboard.  I've used FedEx in the past, and they tell you up front they require the number.  I write it on the box in the address and never had a problem.  Anybody else run into this or is it another brilliant idea that Anchorage has come up with?

I sound cranky don't I?  You better believe it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
alyeska,
You are justifiably cranky. I've sent handguns back to Ruger through U.P.S. No problems. I did have to sign for it when it was shipped back to my house. (Good requirement) A co-worker of mine has shipped handguns back to S&W in Mass.He used Fedex. Again no problems. They even called him at work (Fedex called) when the gun was in their distribution center in his home town of Williston. He picked it up there in person to avoid having to be home at a certian time. Perhaps they are asking for an F.F.L because you are shipping to a gunsmith who's buisiness name is his "personal" name??. Whenever making inquires about anything that has "law" attached to it, i always ask and request an answer in writing.(i.e. a printed copy of e-mail etc.) That way, when we get to the "new" clerk or just a plain-ol jerk, who may be making an assumption because of policy ignorance, i would have something to explain things and ask for that person to make a phone call to their supervisor(s) if possible.Aggravating yes:(, but unless you are a major stockholder, not much one can do. I suppose a complaint letter would be in order. Maybe if they received enough of them then they would get their act togethor.
Scott in Vermont

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Scott,
The experiences you mentioned are what I've experienced with FedEx.  There has never been any problems.  The gunsmith address was to the company's name.  I did ask to speak with a supervisor and she said they required the copy of the FFL.  I did mention that central processing said that was not a requirement, and received a very quirt response of "well, we do here".  After shipping it out a couple of days ago, I was admonished again by the brownshirts because the address included the word "rifle" in it.  UPS said it was against their policy to have the words "firearms, rifle, pistol, revolver, handgun, gun, shotgun, etc..." on the box anywhere.

I think I've shipped my last package by UPS.  I fully agree with Hamilton Bowen that FedEx seems more supportive of gun owners and they will be receiving my business from here on out.

<!--EDIT|alyeska338|May 10 2002,10:14-->

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ship firearms on a regular basis.  All long guns go by UPS as they pick up at my shop.  Always use two cardboard boxes when shipping.  One inside the other as is their requirement (double boxed can be plastic, fiberglass or such with corregated cardboard outer box).  Make sure adequate tape is used.  Handguns are shipped by USPS (FFL holders can ship handguns by mail) as I would have to drive 50 miles to a UPS center as they will not allow their drivers to pick up handguns.  I am not from Alaska but can picture your problems there; very large area with few post offices; however, I would use the postal service if I did not have a FFL.  As far as what is written on the box, I certainly would not advertise that I had a gun in the box; however, if you are sending something to a place like Snow's Gun Shop it part of the business name and that is simply that.  Remember, you are the customer of UPS or USPS.  Get a copy of their rules and be sure they follow their own rules as stringently as they  want you to.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ron,
I guess I am partly to blame as I did not have a set of their rules.  When I called the 1-800 number to ask what their rules were, I had assumed that they would tell me.  What upset me was that central told me one thing and the local outlet required something different.  I have no problem by playing by the rules, they just need to be consistent.  The place I sent mine for work does have the word "gun" in the name of the shop.  How do you get around that?  The 'smith I sent mine to informed me of his local outlets requirements which seem to be in-line with central's.  FedEx has as many rules as UPS, if not more, but they are consistent and tell you what they are, as does the USPS.  I did not even think to contact regular mail, as we have a local drop here in Girdwood, though my actual P.O. is in Anchorage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It makes sense to me that if you don't want your gun stolen in-transit don't advertise on the box that there is a gun inside.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't list the proper receipent, does it get where it's going?  How would send something to Rifles, Inc., or Bowen Classic Arms, or Smith & Wesson?  It wouldn't take a genius to figure out that a box the size of a handgun with a shipping label to Smith & Wesson was a gun.  How about Joe's Gun Shop?  My beef wasn't that that we covered the Winchester box (not a problem) but they refused to have the word gun, firearm, etc... on the shipping label.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
I've shipped a number of guns via UPS and FedEx and only had a minor problem once. I shipped a revolver to a gunsmith in California who did not have a "company name". The agent asked if I had the FFL number with me and I said no. She said could I prove this was a gunsmith with FFL and not an individual. I smiled my best smile and said yes, so she let it go. With all other shipments to "company type" names, I was asked if it was for repair, I said yes, and they went. Never been asked for FFL number with company name addressee.

One item mentioned is contrary to my understanding ..... it is my understanding that you can not ship via the governments postal service unless it is just a component. May be incorrect, but that's what our post office stated.

Dan

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't buy the theft excuse either.  UPS would be the only people to touch that until it got to the shop.  If they can't hire better people than that or keep their employees from stealing from their customers, I don't want to do business with them.

Guess I had more faith in people in general.  I didn't think I would have to disguise my product if I'm hiring a company to deliver it to keep them from stealing it.  Holy cow.  If that is case, what a sad state of affairs UPS is in.

·
Banned
127 Posts
I havehad problems even shipping muzzleloaders though UPS. They refuse to ship even though I tell them any gun manufactured before 1898 is exempt. I can leagaly ship. They, through their ignorance, are violating my rights. I have written the NMLRA and NRA both about it. I am p***ed!

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
well i ll take my chances with the p. o.
i know every body says no.. except my post office ..
unload it an send it is what they tell me..
if they get me on it ..i always tell the post office
whats in the box.. so if they jump me ..i toldem an they okayed it..slim

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Rifles and Shotguns may be shipped USPS, Handguns must go overnight contract carrier. An FFL holder may ship handguns via USPS.

http://www.atf.gov/

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sounds like some folks have gotten some bad info from some un-knowledgeable folks at their shipping locations. Stinks to have to drive 100 miles RT to find it out.

Interested to know how many bad experiences have been at UPS Stores versus UPS customer counters?? UPS Stores are individual franchises and the ownners can dictate whatever rules they want to ship stuff. I do know that any time a gun is shipped via UPS (UPS Store or UPS customer counter) you'd better be prepared to show a signed copy of an FFL with an address matching that on the box.

As far as "prohibited words" on the packaging.........that's complete and total fabrication on someone's part.

Ronald Snow: I had never heard of the drivers not being able to pick up handguns. They deliver them. Seems odd that they couldn't pick them up. :confused:

And commenting to the quality of people that UPS hires.......... the company has around 375,000 employees. If anyone can weed out all the bad eggs from that, you oughta apply for VP of hiring at UPS. They'd be glad to have you, I'm sure. ;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
sounds to me like the ups officials are dining with barak and hillary sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!! watch out gents thats a bad bunch we have in there now!!!!!!!!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,014 Posts
Political opinions are to be kept from the board. Best way to get a thread closed down.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Recently had a dealing with an FFL dealer in the New England states area. He related to me his way of dealing with post offices that will not ship firearms although its perfectly legal. When ever either a clerk or post master refuses to ship a firearm for him he goes to another post office and gets a green complaint form, fills out the information and mails from another post office.

What happens is that clerk or post master gets to attend a special class dealing with shipment of firearms through the mail. He indicated after attending once most clerks and post masters don't want to attend again. Since he started doing this he's had no trouble shipping firearms within his area.

No clerk or post master wants to deal with a complaint because they go to the top management and then it comes down from on high for immediate correction.

Those of you having trouble shipping firearms by USPS might want to try this tactic. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by USPS while pistols can be shipped by a select few i.e. law enforcement, military, border patrol etc.

Might be a tactic that will work with UPS also.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I sent my son over to the UPS/FEDEX store to send a rifle to a gunsmith. They told him it has to go from dealer to dealer. Called the post office and they said make sure its not loaded, pack it good and dont mark it gun or firearm. Bring it down. Sent it out and the gunsmith had it in 2 days.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
UPS/FedEx clearly does NOT want our business, and I won't give them anything they don't want. The PO is closer anyway.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Please note the date on posts 1-9. At that time shipping rules were changing, and not all offices got informed to the same degree.

Now, the rules have solidified, and UPS & Fedex are both equally porky. And way overpriced, since we can't use ground service anymore, gotta use overnite air. :mad:

·
Banned
507 Posts
?:confused:?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts