Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a ruger bisley,Love the gun but!I have to chain up my dodge cummins truck to the trigger to pull it,The action feels like the parking brake on a mack truck, Im used to the smiths silky smooth action and good triggerpull right out of the box,What is with the 5 page book wrote on the barrel, Thats got to go too!   Seriously i would like to get some comments on what you ruger owners are doing to get there gun in shape for shooting .Wolf spring kits??? Etc.    

thanks again scott

(Edited by idahowarden at 9:34 am on April 13, 2001)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Id, hello, we spoke on chat the other night. Check out my update on the Bisley on the forum. As Marshall suggested if you take off one side of the spring under the grips, if reduces the pull some. My trigger isn't too bad but heavy, I am sending for a spring kit from Brownells and will do a little polishing myself. The grip panels were a horror on my gun, I went to work on them with a file and some sandpaper and they are smooth as silk now. Check out the max sized locking base pin from Belt mountain, my gun was pretty tight to start with, bur is solid after installation of thier pin. Required a little work on one end with emery cloth but not a big deal. Waiting for lapping bullets from Marshall now, have already reworked the cylinder throats. The gun shot about 3" groups at 50 yds. from the bench out of the box, I expect to tighten that up after the overhaul. I am also thinking of cutting the barrel back some, cant understand why Ruger only offers the 7 1/2" on the Bisley? Good luck, hope to catch you on the chat again
Phil Uruburu

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Well if this ain't like old home week! :biggrin:

Seriously, Idaho my own .45 Colt Blackhawk was the same way. I did install a Wolfe spring kit and it helped a bunch. This gun was before the oversize base pins were widely available, so I can't comment on them.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Idaho, I did much like the other post for my Bisley .45 long colt. Installed a Wolf spring kit, had gunsmith smooth up trigger parts. This all helped with trigger pull a lot! My gun also had chamber throats .449-.450. Way too tight so I had them opened to .452. Still planning to lapp the barrell. Most of my friends that have this  gun had similar problems and doing these few things can really make a big improvement. Good Hunting!

pistolpete

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Ditto Here!

I too love the Ruger Single actions.   I have a Bisley Vaquero SS 5.5" that I love!   Now, it's getting to be a great gun... after some major time invested!

The Ruger Single Actions are great guns for the money, but the triggers need new springs, an investment of time with some 600 grit crocus cloth to the moving parts does wonders.  A Belt Mountain base pin makes all the difference in the world in solidity of lockup.

Too, a person can send the gun off to Clements, Bowen, Stroh or one of the other excellent revolversmiths and get all the tricks done to them as well.   Then your Ruger will have a total cost of about what it would be if Ruger did all that work before selling them to us!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I've said for some years now that Ruger gave you the best "Do-It-Yourself" kit on the market! However, like Smith & Wesson, Ruger's finish and fitting has gone down. When I compare My 1957 .44 Blackhawk to My later Super Blackhawk, the difference is very obvious. If one really looks at today's offering you can see the lousy polishing on the curved surfaces!!! It's like buying a new car and having to overhaul it before you can drive it! Of course, that happens also! If the shooters of the 30's looked at this stuff they wouls call it junk....strong, but junk! This is why I tell shooters to watch the used gun market and pick up the older Smiths, Colts, etc. Maybe they are not the Hand Cannons of todays, but serve well for the major part of hunting! The other problem is that most newer shooters have nothing to compare today's guns to, so this new stuff looks great. Sad, but true. If you take one of the early Smith & Wesson Triple Locks in .44 Special and compare it with the beat thing Smith builds now you would see what I am saying. Again..."Quality is as the Customer Perceives" That's one reason I keep some of my old stuff!
Best Regards, James

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
OH isn't that the truth!!!

Firearms of even twenty years vintage are significantly better than today's offerings. And I won't even comment on pre-WWII standards compared to the dawn of the Twenty-First century.

A great deal of it has to do, I believe, in our "disposable society" mentality. Nothing lasts, it will be "obsolete" in a year anyhow, I've got money to spend if it doesn't hold up, etc. Shoot, we have plastic guns for cryin' out loud! Gives me shivers when I compare new to my pre-war Savage 99G takedown, or worse yet, my old as-issued Swede Mauser.

·
Banned
169 Posts
I have installed Wilson spring kits in Rugers for myself and several friends over the last few years. The difference is very noticeable. I don't know if it makes a difference who's kit you use. I used the Wilson kits because they were less expensive and after the first one I knew they worked. If they hadn't I would have tried others. Get a spring kit you won't be disappointed. Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts