Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second post here hello everyone. I am going to buy my first lever action 44 mag soon. I found a used one it was seems to be okay condition for 350 at a gun store by me. I was hoping i could get some feed back on a couple things. Thanks in advanced. Before i go farther the reason i am getting the rifle is for bore and dear hunting. I plan on 20" barrel. I will be in places that i will see black bear and may hunt them and as i open my hunting grounds may see a grizzly. I hope to be able to chamber heavy large grain rounds in this if needed. So if i am looking to the wrong 44 mag (im getting a redhawk also so pretty set on 44 mag) lever gun please let me know iv been fighting over marlin or winchester and what year for a while not sure of the PRO vs CON i have read a lot of contradicting statements so some real knowledgeable advise helps :) . Okay next if this is fine for my purpose what things should i look out for when buying a used marlin 94? Thanks again if you made it to the end of my novel.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The price on that Marlin is fantastic. Although the rate of twist usually doesn't stabilize very heavy bullets(300 grainers), you can get loads that would do what you are looking for.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
The Marlin lever guns in .357/.44M are very hard to come by these days, and usually wear a very hefty price. I'm still kicking myself for passing on a M94W Trapper. Oh well.
Not sure about 300gr bullets, but they will shoot well with a 265gr Hornady RN, a bullet designed initially for the .444. The Speer 270gr Deep Curls would shoot as well, but they don't seem to be as tough.

$350 is a buy though. Grab sooner than later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank everyone!! i read something about a "marlin jam" issue, Anyone know what this is? Looks like i will go grab this rifle. Is there anything i should look out for that may be an isse on a well worn one?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Model 1894 marlin or model 94 winchester?

I think the 94# used for different brands confuses things a bit. That price sounds WAY too low for a Winchester & low also for a Marlin, not that there is anything wrong with them. You may have just found a great deal, but I would give it a real good eye balling for a cracked stock & check out the boar for pitting or scratches. None of my biz but a 44mag, while fine for deer & hogs to 100 yards, would NOT even be considered for Grizz. good luck.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I've owned and enjoyed a Marlin 94/.44 mag. Mine was a well made rifle and accurate enough for my needs (deer & boar). Having had it in hand, stoked with 270gr JFN loads and finding it lacking on a very large boar, I sold it and bought a Marlin .375. While finding and buying a Marlin .375 (never mind feeding it) would be problematic at best, I'd suggest the Marlin 336 in .35 Rem over the 1894/.44 for your specific needs. A load using the Speer 220gr JFN bullet that somewhat approaches or matches the Buffalo Bore loading with that bullet will give you performance above what you'll find in the .44. I'm sure some will disagree, it's all good, but those are my feelings on the hunting you've described with the rifle.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!

Reactions: nachogrande

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree with TnHunter. I sometimes tool around out in Grizzly country and I want more "thump" than a .44 Mag.

Just my opinion.

L.W.

Reactions: nachogrande

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't live in grizz country nor have I ever confronted a grizz. However, many people carry 44 Magnum revolvers for protection against brown bear. With the added velocity of the carbine, why would it not work as a defensive round against grizz? No, you can't use a Buffalo Bore 340 grain +P+ load in it, but so what?

Comparing a 305 grain 44 from a rifle to a 220 grain 35 Remington, the 35 has a bit more energy (2365 vs. 2144) but also less momentum (69.1 vs. 77.5). This makes them nearly equal at the ranges one would find the need to defend against a grizz. Load data from Buffalo Bore's fine offerings.

·
Registered
423 Posts
A quick note... if you are loading your own cast bullits for 44, make sure to have them sized to fit the bore of a rifle, which is different than the bore on a revolver (I don't know why). They should be 0.432" or so.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I'm sure some will disagree, it's all good, but those are my feelings on the hunting you've described with the rifle. !
The only fly in that ointment is the .35 doesn't go in a six shooter on the hip.

Personally, if I actually thought there was a grizzly bear that wanted my butt, I'd go with one of the .45-70's carbines stoked to the stars, and pushing a 400gr bullet, or even one of the .50 Alaskan versions.

The argument reminds me of the constant exchange of .22LR handguns for defense. The .22LR has killed a lot of people, (mostly really unlucky ones), and it's fine when you pull it out, and the perp surrenders. The .44 is fine if you pull it out, and the bear runs away. :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
$350 bucks for a .44 mag Marlin 94 is decent shape......is a good deal.
Will be fine for deer (not dear) and hogs..
Grizz is another story,.....Are you going to hunt them with this?....or consider it more of a self defense if needed?

I don't get carrying a .44 carbine AND a .44 handgun....?
To me that's like having 2 -#2 screwdrivers in the box......but that a personnel decision.

Good luck on what ever you decide.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The grizz defense question always fascinates me. Before the 454, the 44 Magnum revolver was the defacto standard. Now, the 454 Casull is a weakling round for grizz defense. Soon people will be scoffing at the 500 S&W.

Comparing a 305 grain Buffalo Bore load in a carbine vs. a 360 grain BB 454 revolver load, the carbine has more energy and more momentum. This suggests to me that the 44 Magnum carbine is indeed suitable for grizz defense. Unless the consensus is that a 454 Casull is too puny for grizz defense and I don't think it is... yet! :eek:

If I knew there was a possibility (even a small one) that I would encounter a grizz, I'd have a pump action shotgun loaded with heavy magnum slugs. But that's me.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have owned several M1894 Marlins over the years. Get that one at that price.

The "Marlin Jam" can be fixed if it is a problem. Lever guns can be fussy about what they will feed. None of my Marlins had any problems feeding a jacketed bullet suitable for them. With cast bullets, only my present 24" Cowboy model is fussy. It feeds fine with any RNFP cowboy cast bullets. It wont feed certain length 240 gr SWCs at all. It does feed the longer SWCs. Yours may be different so you will just have to find the bullet for yours. Do a search for "fixing the Marlin Jam" for more info.

My 2000 year made 1894 Cowboy has the carrier length set up for 1.710 COL and feeds perfectly at that length. The Keith 250 gr bullet works very smoothly at 1.710 and I cant make it jam. The LWFN LBT bullet also works flawlessly. Any bullet will work in 44 Special cases.

The 250 and 265 gr Beartooth WFNGC would be good for hunting loads. The 265 gr Hornady JSP was designed for the 444 Marlin and gives good accuracy in the 44 Magnum Marlins. For a jacketed bullet on large game it would be my choice.

I have used the heavier bullets and they gave good accuracy at 50 yards but keyholed at 100 yards. I managed to get 1500 fps from the 24" barrel with a 320 gr LWFNGC bullet. That will give good penetration close up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You hit a big brown with a 240 grain Swift A-Frame driven at carbine velocities, you'll get fantastic penetration and a massive wound channel.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
The grizz defense question always fascinates me. Before the 454, the 44 Magnum revolver was the defacto standard.
:)

I can recall the same.

Worse, I now own a bunch of .44M's, that even a girl scout wouldn't touch, and even my .44M carbine is suffering from bounce outs.

Even worse, I retired and can't afford brass, bullets, or especially BB ammo for a .475/.480.

Oh well ??

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Hello ,I'm looking forward to geting a 44 mag.nice big hole :)they are doing respectable speeds with decent weight bullets for there size.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had a model 1894 for over 20 years and it is very accurate with .240 grain LSWCGC's, .270 grain SP's and .300 grain SP's. $350.00 is a good price if there are no apparent problems with it. Buy it, you will not be disappointed. I put a red dot scope on mine, sighted in at 50 yards. robin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts