Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a used AR-15.Rock River brand.We have been shooting targets set at 50 yards and every shot is tumbling.The bullets are hitting the cardboard with a side ways profile.The bullets are a 55 gr. Federal brand.I beleive the barrel is a 9/1 twist.Any suggestions as to why they are tumbling and what we can do to fix this issue??I have been told that these barrels are almost impossible to wear out.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
Have you checked the barrel for obvious wear and slugged it for size?

2nd thought is the rate of twist is marginal for the bullet weight. Might try heavier bullet.

Welcome to the board - main rule is to play nice with others and join the discussions.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,233 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My 1-9 twist 223 shoots 55 gr bullets well. I would check the bore and try a heavier bullet as advised above. You may also try turning your target on its side to match the bullet.;)

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Fire it enough, fast enough, and get that sucker REALLY hot, and it can be wrorn out. More likely, it can get heavily copper-fouled. Have you given it the all-out cleaning treatment?

1-in-9 should work well with weights from 45 gr. up to maybe 69 gr. It is very popular because of that fact. For anyone wanting to be able to shoot a variety of bullet weights, it is a good compromise.

·
Inactive
645 Posts
Along with all the other posters suggestions I would check your muzzle. It is possible that the crown on your barrel has been damaged and will cause your bullet to exit the barrel at an angle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input guys.I had a friend who is a gun smith look the barrel over and he said everything looked fine.I gave the barrel a complete cleaning and then went out and tried different brands and grs. of bullets.Everything shot fine with no problems at all.Even the Federal 55 gr. bullets shot fine.Thanks again for the suggestions and input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.