Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I'm new to this board and as an all around gun nut for years one area of guns that I enjoy is shooting cheap cast bullets in revolers and lower velocity rifle loads. The trouble I have run into in recent years is availibility of the "cheap" lead I used to get at any tire related store. Used to I could easily buy a 5 gallon bucket of wheelweights whenever I needed them. When I've tried this the last couple of years at the local tire places, they all tell me that they reuse their old weights. I don't believe this at all because when I get new tires the weights on them are in perfect conditon without a mark.

Could this be an EPA thing where the tire stores are afraid of me being an EPA agent looking for retailers commiting environmental infractions or am I just paranoid? :eek::D

Has anybody else been able to get wheelweights lately???

:eek:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
My experience with tire stores in my area has been similar. But I am friends with one tire store owner and the story from him is that there is some kind of agreement with suppliers to sell back the used wheelweights based on a contract. So the stores get credit for the wheelweights and are supposed to return all of them. Well, since I buy my tires there and get my flats fixed there, I am able to get a "handfull" of wheelweights now and then. But all the other tire stores in town dried up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My source has been the local scrap yard. Find out when they take theirs to their buyer and hit them a few days prior. I have been paying .35 to .45 a lb. Here their price goes up when the fuel prices go up. All the wheel weights were larger, truck type and all older soft lead so the tire shop return might be nationwide. I have been meaning to go to the auto salvage spots and ask, even take them off myself.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've had similar problems but not as bad as yours. There are one or two places that will still give up the weights. Some of them pay recyclers to come takes the used weights off their hands. Others sell them for scrap. Find one of the former and you're saving them money by taking the weights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll try some scrap/salvage yards and see what I can find. I have several boxes of melted ingots already but they can be shot up pretty fast. I wish I had all the lead back from my college days when I used to cast bullets and sell them to a local shooting range for cash to buy other reloading supplies. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
EPA may ban lead wheel weights

California, Japan and the European Union have banned lead wheel weights. There's talk that the US EPA will soon do the same. Once that happens, lead wheel weights will go the way of the gooney bird. I just bought some scrap wheel weights. I had to go through and hit each one with a hammer to make sure it was lead. Some are zinc, some are steel and some are lead. Didn't used to have to do that. Just bought a Dodge truck.It has zinc wheel weights on it.

(advertising deleted)

If anyone is interested in casting zinc bullets, zinc wheel weights are probably the way to go. I have some but I don't know how many pounds I have on hand.

In WW-II the Germans were loading 9mm pistol ammunition with zinc bullets that had an a 33 degree angle nose. The round would shoot through 1/2" armor!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,732 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please see the rules in the Trading Post topic before posting items for sale.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts