Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, good to be connecting with a group of like minded people.
I have been reloading for many years. I also had done some bullet casting with an RCBS lubrisizer, but not for quite a while.
Yesterday, I picked up a like new Lyman 4500 with several dies and top punches, and bought a new RCBS .401" die and t.p. I had been told the RCBS dies would work fine, and the die fit with no problems. BUT, I am unable to get the bullets I had recently cast for use in a 40 S&W and 10mm auto, 180 gr. RN with a single lube groove, deep enough to get lube into the groove. I finally started putting a bullet on top of the one I wanted to lube, and pulled the handle down, and then the bullet got properly lubed.
There is only one ring of lube holes in the die, which, as I stated, was an RCBS, but the other dies I got with the 4500 were Lyman with 2 rings of lube holes in the dies. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I got the manual and I have adjusted the threaded sleeve to change the depth the bullet is inserted into the die, but nothing helps. The bullet does not go deep enough into the die for the single set of lubing holes to fill the lube groove in the bullet. That's why I have used another bullet placed on top of the one I am lubing when I push it into the die, and then iut works. So, it seems that the lubing holes in the die are not enough to lube all bullets designed for that caliber. But, thanks for your reasonable suggestions.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,805 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what's going on why so I go down and run a couple bullets through my #45 and I still can't "see" what yours is or isn't doing.

The only thing I can come up with, the top punch isn't long enough if you have the depth set.

That's all I got.

Yes, I know it's filthy.

RJ

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, I got the manual and I have adjusted the threaded sleeve to change the depth the bullet is inserted into the die, but nothing helps. The bullet does not go deep enough into the die for the single set of lubing holes to fill the lube groove in the bullet. That's why I have used another bullet placed on top of the one I am lubing when I push it into the die, and then it works. So, it seems that the lubing holes in the die are not enough to lube all bullets designed for that caliber. But, thanks for your reasonable suggestions.
NP, it's probably just one of those instances when what should normally work doesn't and why the Lyman dies have two sets of holes as apposed to the RCBS dies that have just one. I have the RCBS Lube A Matic II and it works with Lyman sizing dies and punches. The first set of lube ports are much higher at the top on the Lyman dies than on the RCBS and that probably why the work better for some bullets.

@recoil junky The Lyman #45 like you have and the #4500 although they accomplish the same purpose are made slightly different. The 4500 is much closer to my RCBS lube sizer.

·
10,805 Posts
I'm sure there's 50 years in between, but the operation theory is the same yes? Adjust depth screw to desired depth, push bullet down, 1/4 turn of the lube squisher screw (depending on lube groove(s), bullet size etc) push bullet back out, repeat.

As I've only seen pictures of the 450, 4500 and RCBS luberisizers I can only speculate as to their operation and adjustments.

RJ

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm sure there's 50 years in between, but the operation theory is the same yes? Adjust depth screw to desired depth, push bullet down, 1/4 turn of the lube squisher screw (depending on lube groove(s), bullet size etc) push bullet back out, repeat.

As I've only seen pictures of the 450, 4500 and RCBS luberisizers I can only speculate as to their operation and adjustments.

RJ
I think the issue is that the RCBS sizing die lube holes are so far down on the die body compared to the Lyman dies which have to holes one set being much closer to the top that the top punch can't press the bullet down far enough to reach the holes in the RCBS die.

RCBS

Lyman

·
10,805 Posts
Or two rows of four that are offset for big long bullets with multiple lube grooves and built before the o ring was invented. 😁

it would be I interesting to put the Lyman and RCBS dies side by each and compare lube hole placement. It is odd that the green one only has one row of holes.

RJ

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check all my dies I use in my RCBS and only had one RCBS die in the entire bunch all the rest are two and four hold dies by Lyman but here is a comparison between the two. The top of the lube hole in the RCBS die is roughly 1/8" lower than any of the top holes on the Lyman dies.

Lyman on the Left, RCBS on the Right.

A good project for today would be to take my hair dryer and melt all the old lube off and clean these things up.

·
10,805 Posts
You got way too much time on your hands. I haven't cleaned and won't clean mine. 😁

RJ

·
Registered
110 Posts
You got way too much time on your hands. I haven't cleaned and won't clean mine. 😁

RJ
Well I work four 10's then I'm off three days and they are pretty well dried up after sitting for a couple of years. In less than six months I won't be working for the man anymore at all and will have all kinds of time to enjoy myself.

·
10,805 Posts
Well I work four 10's then I'm off three days and they are pretty well dried up after sitting for a couple of years. In less than six months I won't be working for the man anymore at all and will have all kinds of time to enjoy myself.
I work 4-12's with three days off and I've got 358 days left myself, but who's counting.😁

RJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check all my dies I use in my RCBS and only had one RCBS die in the entire bunch all the rest are two and four hold dies by Lyman but here is a comparison between the two. The top of the lube hole in the RCBS die is roughly 1/8" lower than any of the top holes on the Lyman dies.

Lyman on the Left, RCBS on the Right.
View attachment 99858

A good project for today would be to take my hair dryer and melt all the old lube off and clean these things up.
Here is a photo image of the die that is not working for me. The bullet I was trying to, and finally figured out a way to lubrisize was from an old H&G mold for a 180 gr. 38-40 slug. As you can see, the lube holes are quite small and down a little too far for the bullet's lube groove. I am beginning to think that it was just one of those things and I have sent off for another die, but a Lyman like the one on the left you sent images of.
I know on thing, I'm very glad I made sure and got the "hot plate" to warm up th lube. My little shop in Alaska gets a little chilly in the late fall and winter.
Thanks for your help.
lubedie.JPG

·
Registered
110 Posts
@Webbernut1 NP I kinda figured the hole in the RCBS die was just too low to work with the short bullet you were trying to lube. The one RCBS die I have is for sizing rifle bullets to .311" and it works great for that.

What brand of lube are you using. I like White Label Lube 2500+

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Webbernut1 NP I kinda figured the hole in the RCBS die was just too low to work with the short bullet you were trying to lube. The one RCBS die I have is for sizing rifle bullets to .311" and it works great for that.

What brand of lube are you using. I like White Label Lube 2500+
I use a red 2700 lube and a blue 2700 lube. I do some .30 cal bullets, gas checked for 30-06, or have done and will again, but most of mine are for pistol, anywhere from 850 to 1400 fps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts