Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm, maybe we need a gun cleaning topic? Just a thought.....

Anyway, at the range today, saw a package on the wall with "USP Bore Paste" and as I've been meaning to purchase some JB Bore paste, decided to give this stuff a try instead (something to be said for impulse purchases).

Anyway, it seems to work on my wife's 6mm Rem, which has a pitted bore and fouls pretty badly. Given that she shoots it a couple of times a year, and generally kills something with it every shot, it's not a big deal.... but, it's still good to be able to get the barrel clean with a minimum amount of effort.

So, if anyone has used both products (USP and JB) side by side, are they both about the same effectiveness? Any preferences?

My cleaning procedure was to brush out the loose carbon fouling with a brass brush, leave the bore wet with some Butch's Bore Shine for a few hours, then put the USP bore paste on a patch over a nylon brush and give 10 or 12 strokes back and forth through the bore. Seems to have gotten most of the copper out.

I am in the middle of lapping the bore, so it isn't a direct comparison to the previous cleaning procedure. But I had been doing multiple brushings combined with many applications of Butch's over several days to get all the copper out, previously.

Comments/opinions/speculation welcome.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Does the USP provide any chemical action or is it strictly physical? I'm always wary about mixing chemical bore cleaners.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've used both USP and JB. Both seem to work, although I'd say JB works a hair quicker, based just on the old eyeball test- no scientific backing at all.
I believe USP is a mechanical (mild abrasive), just like JB is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Copper Removal

The abresive cleaners will get copper out. I've used JB and Iosso. They clean well but, especially in a rough barrel, they can be a pain to get out after you have scrubbed with them. There is also a suggestion by competition shooters that they can eventually make a barrel foul worse than if they were not used. I'm currently using a product called KG12 Copper remover. It's a water based product developed for the army to clean cannon barrels. It does get copper out quickly. It's worth a try on a rough barrel.

Good Luck, Turcis1

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I first use Hopps #9 to clean out deposits and follow-up with JB Bore paste. I've found this combo. the best for my rifles.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
I've used the Remington Bore Cleaner and J-B bore paste. For the J-B, take a well worn bronze bristle brush, wrap a cleaning patch around it, saturate with Hoppe's #9 and apply the paste. Should be a tight fit in the bore. Work back and forth from the breech until patch gets worn (don't overdo the use or the patch wears out and becomes a hoplessly embedded mess in the brush - ask me how I know!) and then follow with saturated clean patches to determine results.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I've used the Remington Bore Cleaner and J-B bore paste. For the J-B, take a well worn bronze bristle brush, wrap a cleaning patch around it, saturate with Hoppe's #9 and apply the paste. Should be a tight fit in the bore. Work back and forth from the breech until patch gets worn (don't overdo the use or the patch wears out and becomes a hoplessly embedded mess in the brush - ask me how I know!) and then follow with saturated clean patches to determine results.
I clean my rifles in a similar way & it works fine!

·
The Shadow
7,933 Posts
Side by side, I think that JB and USP are about the same.
Before my abandonment of scrubbing, I used both a fair amount, and never noticed a difference between the two.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I use the method that kdub stated, it may be old fashion, but it works. I have used Baiilistol fo some of the surplus or used rifles that I have purchased right after I go them home.

Cleaning doesn't requires hours of elbow grease, you just have to know how to clean your weapons properly and don't get carried away at the range. Plus I don't use Wolf and certain other brands of ammo.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
For bore paste I use the Remington brand - it works well for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts